iphone on demand vpn connection based on ip

Pop your questions regarding Home automation software here.....
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

iphone on demand vpn connection based on ip

Post by Snelvuur »

So on the 'beurs' we had a small talk about iphones and vpn connections.

I've followed lots of tutorials, but the best spot to read is http://www.derman.com/blogs/Setting-Up-iOS-OnDemand-VPN
Basicly this wants you to make a certificate based trust, and use that as a profile that you have to install on your phone which uses the openvpn client.

So far i got it to work that whenever i am using a 192.168.x.x adres on the phone it will automaticly start openvpn client for me. The only thing that i did not get working was that it also drops the vpn after xx minutes. Even closing the apps that use it still doesn't matter. I have to turn it off manually and then only when i go to 192.x again it starts up.

Anyone feels lucky to dive in to this? Requires the openvpn client with a certificate (so no passwords) and a mac would be handy, since you can download the profile manager for it. (easy to make profiles then, and provision if needed)
// Erik (binkey.nl)
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: iphone on demand vpn connection based on ip

Post by Edwin2008 »

Sorry, no iPhone.
I think the disconnecting part would be difficult because only you know when you don't need the vpn anymore. Only solutions I can see is either a automatic disconnect after preset time or when you end the app that's using the vpn.
** edwin **
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: iphone on demand vpn connection based on ip

Post by Snelvuur »

If no traffic goes towards 192. it should just stop, this is not something that should be so hard. It is advertised in the profile as an option so i would believe it is possible. Could be just wrongly implemented but you never know.
// Erik (binkey.nl)

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”