OTGW, Calenta, Toon and Setpoint override not working

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

rjblake
Starting Member
Starting Member

OTGW, Calenta, Toon and Setpoint override not working

Post by rjblake »

Have installed my OTGW together with a Remeha Calenta 40C and Toon Thermostat. In Domoticz, I tried to use the Room Setpoint device to override the temperature and fire up the heating, but it didn't work. Launched the OT Monitor (after shutting down Domoticz) and tried to send a TT=26 command to turn heating on, but it didn't work (Remote override room setpoint in OTMonitor shows 26.00). Reset using TT=0 and then sent a TC=26 command to try this. Same result. However, if I change the temperature temporarily on the Toon (thermostat override), I see that the "Room Setpoint" in OT Monitor is change to 26.00. Looking at the equipment matrix, it appears that the Remeha boilers and Toon do not support the Opentherm ID9. How can sort this so that OTGW changes the "Room setpoint" (ID16) instead of "Remote override room setpoint" (ID9). Any others having this issue, as I see people with Remeha boilers that don't seem to have this issue when using the iSense thermostat?
hvxl

Re: OTGW, Calenta, Toon and Setpoint override not working

Post by hvxl »

Boilers do not use the information provided in the "Room setpoint" message. They operate based on the "Control Setpoint" and some other bits and pieces. So changing MsgID 16 will have absolutely no effect.

The job of regulating the room temperature lies with the thermostat. If a thermostat doesn't support the remote override room setpoint (like the Toon), then there is nothing you can do on the opentherm interface (short of completely implementing your own room temperature control algorithm).

To change the room setpoint on the Toon from Domoticz, you will have to use the methods provided by Eneco (via their web portal), or hack the Toon.
Schelte
rjblake
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by rjblake »

@hvxl - many thanks for the explanation. My bad, as I thought OTGW injected the OT commands so would override thermostat values; but (if I understand correctly) this is only valid where the thermostat supports the 'remote override room setpoint'OT ID. I am using the 'Toon Setpoint' to adjust my temperature in Domoticz currently, but was hoping to get away from this due to Eneco's ongoing service centre connectivity issues. I guess I've now got some redundancy built in as am also monitoring my Remeha Calenta with an ESP8266 connected to the boilers TTL connector. Perhaps time to dump the Toon and look at other Thermostat options such as the iSense.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

The OTGW can change the thermostat values. But it's not as simple as just changing the room setpoint. The thermostat contains the control algorithm which produces the desired water temperature (control setpoint) as an output. To manipulate that, you will have to implement your own control algorithm, which is much more complicated.

If you want to continue to use the Toon, I would definitely suggest to look into hacking it. Then you don't depend on Eneco's service centre anymore.
Schelte
rjblake
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by rjblake »

My bad - I wrongly assumed that by updating the "Room Setpoint" in Domoticz, it simply updated the value of this on the Toon. I guess what it is doing is sending this change to the Toon, which in turn adjusts the control setpoint, etc. Even if I do hack the Toon, from what I understand, I cannot simply adjust the OTGW "Room Setpoint" and expect it to update the Toon to a new temperature; so additional control gained.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

If you hack the Toon, you wouldn't change the Room Setpoint opentherm message, you would just change the Room Setpoint.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”