Hardware: Toon boiler module, "ketelmodule"

Forum about Toon hardware, both versions 1 and 2 of Toon

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Please post your questions/tips/remarks related to Eneco's Toon's boiler module here.

grtz,

marcelr
Tom
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Hardware: Toon boiler module, "ketelmodule"

Post by Tom »

To kickoff then lets go on with 'fixing' the boiler module in this topic. This is a followup on this post; domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=87& ... 330#p79832
Interesting find, what hardware/software did you use (besides AVRdude and a raspberriy pi, and yes, I never used SPI before )?
Pinouts etc would also be helpful.

Then back to the problem: If it's not the firmware, do you hear clicks when toon boots and tries to connect to the module?

You don't happen to have an OTGW, by the way? Could be useful for testing toon's side of the protocol. Since some (sensible) data are coming through, maybe voltage levels are outside the levels of the OT protocol, and therefore communication stalls.

Then, for automated testing, if you can build code for toon, you might want to download and compile the boiler interfacing code that I posted a while ago. Doesn't do any fancy stuff, but tries to contact the module a lot more times before giving up, and can easily be modified to keep trying indefinitely. If you can't build that code, just yell, will try and make an .ipk package for it.

BTW toon tries 3 times and then decides it's a bang-bang controlled boiler. Every time you push the "controleren" button, you should hear the clicks.

grtz,

marcelr
Besides a Raspberry Pi and installing AVRdude I used 4x1Kohm resistors between the RPi and the module. The pinout for the module is a standard 6 pin ISP interface:

I got the connection working by using the following guide;
rototron.info/raspberry-pi-avr-programm ... -tutorial/

Important note
When the power adapter is connected to the module, the pins are returning 5v and the RPi can only have 3.3v on the gpio pins. Therefore do not connect the adapter to the module while connected to the RPi!

Back to the problem;
I do not own a OTGW since i chose to use Toon for this.

When the module is connected only to Toon the output voltage is a steady 24 volts but it doesn't give any clicks coming from the module when connecting power or when clicking 'Controleren'.

Just to be shure; should I always connect the module to the boiler when testing or is only connecting the module to Toon enough to not get the "Verbinding met Ketelmodule verbroken" message?

With building code for toon you mean be able to bitbake the whole OE tree?
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

When the module is connected only to Toon the output voltage is a steady 24 volts but it doesn't give any clicks coming from the module when connecting power or when clicking 'Controleren'.
That's not good. When you hit "controleren", the module switches two relays at the boiler side of the module, and you should be able to hear the click of their switching. At least, that's what happens with my module, I'm not sure if the hardware over the years has changed such that the relays have been replaced with something else (e.g., solid-state relays). After the first click, three attempts to test OT capability are done, if unsuccessful, the module switches back to bang-bang control, and you will hear the clicks again.
Just to be shure; should I always connect the module to the boiler when testing or is only connecting the module to Toon enough to not get the "Verbinding met Ketelmodule verbroken" message?
The module sends at maximum three OT request to the boiler (typically ID 0 or ID1, but others are possible too, depending on the state of the module). The boiler (If it supports OT), replies at least with an acknowledge or "id unknown" OT datagram. So yes, you will need to have a boiler attached for toon to accept that it's talking to an OT-capable device.
With building code for toon you mean be able to bitbake the whole OE tree?
Or at least have a working toolchain for an ARM 926EJS. The oe tree is preferable, though.

grtz,

marcelr
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Brief addendum:

There are at least two types of boiler modules:

PN 6500-1200-2000
and
PN 6500-1200-4801

I have the 4801, so that one should click :-). The 2000 has similar relays on board, so probably should click as well.

grtz,

marcelr
Tom
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Tom »

Hi Marcelr,

It has been a long time since I have been trying to get my Toon's boiler module to work, I gave up after our last contact. However I picked it up yesterday and tried to make it work again. I factory reset it, placed back my backups of the configs from right after the root and opened the VPN again to update to v3.6. All this didn't make any difference and I am still getting no response from the boiler module. The interesting thing I noticed after reading all the threads again is that the module has PN 6500-1300-0300 on the pcb and PN 6500-1200-4801 on the casing. When I am trying to do the controleren option it doesn't click. I am out of options and thinking about getting a replacement from marktplaats.
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Can it do on/off control?
(Just hook it up to your boiler, set the temperature to a high level and see what happens).
Tom
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Tom »

It doesn't do anything, not even on/off control. Still getting the message the module is not connected. I am looking for a new one on MP and will see if I can find any difference between the two. When I have some more information I will let you know.
Tom
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Tom »

Yesterday I got my hands on a new Toon. I connected the Boiler module to my rooted toon and all worked like a charm. It started with clicks like marcelr said and checking the control switched it to OpenTherm directly.
If anyone has another idea on how to check why the other module is defect, please let me know and I can look into it.
Smiggel

Post by Smiggel »

Guys, I have an issue here. I bought a secondhand Toon online. I reset it to factory defaults and rooted it. It works all fine and I updated to the latest software successfully. I still have full control of the Toon.

I now connected the toon to my CV. It's connected using OpenTherm ports on the CV. However, it looks like Toon is not detecting the CV supports OpenTherm. My old on-off thermostat used it too.

So I asked around and hear signals that because my Toon is second hand, it will remember the settings of the previous user. Is there anyway to reset this, so Toon will see my own CV as the correct one and use OpenTherm? Now it says "Warmte" as heat type in Settings (instellingen) -> Heating (Verwarming)
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Balderdash. The boiler module doesn't remember anything, and Toon checks for OT every reboot and every time you hit the "Controleren" button.

But if it talks about "warmte" you might want to check the product number of your module.
Boiler modules have been made in a few varieties of PCB layout.

The product numbers for OT boiler modules are at least (list is not exhaustive):

6500-1200-2000
6500-1200-4801

So, if your boiler module is one of those, it should support OT. If it doesn't, either your boiler doesn't support OT, or your boiler module is broken.

BTW, moved your post to the right topic.
Smiggel

Post by Smiggel »

marcelr wrote:Balderdash. The boiler module doesn't remember anything, and Toon checks for OT every reboot and every time you hit the "Controleren" button.

But if it talks about "warmte" you might want to check the product number of your module.

The product numbers for OT boiler modules are at least (list is not exhaustive):

6500-1200-2000
6500-1200-4801

So, if your boiler module is one of those, it should support OT. If it doesn't, either your boiler doesn't support OT, or your boiler module is broken.

Hmmm ok. I guess I have to unscrew the boiler module then and have a look at the number. Opentherm used to work fine, so I assume it had something to do with the module.

Thanks for the information.
Smiggel

Post by Smiggel »

marcelr wrote:Balderdash. The boiler module doesn't remember anything, and Toon checks for OT every reboot and every time you hit the "Controleren" button.

6500-1200-2000
6500-1200-4801

Looking at the config files config_happ_scsync.xml it says it’s version 6500-1200-4801. :-(

That means something is wrong here. My Intergas does support Opentherm. It used to work like that before with the standard thermostat. It’s Also connected the same way.

Will a factory reset help?
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

No. factory reset just clears all data from toon, regarding electricity consumption and the likes. OT support has got nothing to do with it.

There is a possibility that you need to try and force Toon to do OT support for quite a few times. For my Nefit, I had to push the button on Toon several times before it decided that OT support was possible after all.
For the exact type, just look at the rear of the module. If you bought your Toon from a trader, module and display may not have belonged together.
Smiggel

Post by Smiggel »

marcelr wrote:No. factory reset just clears all data from toon, regarding electricity consumption and the likes. OT support has got nothing to do with it.

There is a possibility that you need to try and force Toon to do OT support for quite a few times. For my Nefit, I had to push the button on Toon several times before it decided that OT support was possible after all.
For the exact type, just look at the rear of the module. If you bought your Toon from a trader, module and display may not have belonged together.
I check the device number op the device. It's 6500-1200-4801 according to the sticker on the device.

How do I force it? I don't seem to have the option to do that. I've attached a picture with what I see in the settings page.
Attachments
IMG_0309.jpg
IMG_0309.jpg (66.91 KiB) Viewed 15514 times
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Smiggel wrote:
marcelr wrote:No. factory reset just clears all data from toon, regarding electricity consumption and the likes. OT support has got nothing to do with it.

I check the device number op the device. It's 6500-1200-4801 according to the sticker on the device.

How do I force it? I don't seem to have the option to do that. I've attached a picture with what I see in the settings page.

Your picture is showing a 'heating' configuration of Toon (like 'stadsverwarming') instead of a boiler configuration. You probably screwed up your settings (i think the scsync file, check it there).
Member of the Toon Software Collective

Return to “Toon Hardware”