ZonOpToon alternative

Forum about Toon hardware, both versions 1 and 2 of Toon

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ZonOpToon alternative

Post by marcelr »

balans wrote:a reading is an art when its not youre daily reading , a reboot did the trick i only killed qt-gui wich it did not fix it
Makes sense, qt-gui doesn't re-read that configuration, happ_scsync does.

Code: Select all

kilalll happ_scsync
should work as well, since happ_scsync is also in the respawn section of inittab
balans
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by balans »

Hmmm after a day it`s not perfect yet i don`t have the zon nu option (realtime power) some tiles like produktie vandaag (daily, monthly total) in kwh or in euro`s but no actual power, i also ended up with 0,87 kwh
wich should 8,736kwh so i guess 10000 imps is to big made that 1000 so will see tomorrow if that counter works better.
But still couldn`t find out why there is no actual power tile.

this was mainly the idea to invest for such a extra gadget lol
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Did you add the ! back in the file you changed (for the 'standalone' option)? Could be the reason why some tiles are not shown yet if you didn't undo your edit (as your are not 'standalone' anymore now).

And check your solar kwh meter. It will tell you exactly the pulses per kwh which you will need to enter in the Toon menu. Probably it is 1000imp/kwh as you already figured out.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
balans
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by balans »

ok no i did not undo the ! so i need to place those back because of the standalone fix. will try that and report back
balans
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by balans »

Maybe a bit late , but i did an upgrade from 11 to 12 and after the upgrade the ! where back , i did some more things to like swtich to standalone maybe al those things had something to do with each other but hey i got it working.
I`m happy things worked out great with the hints and help from the forum thumbs up!
mogwai
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by mogwai »

Hi All. Today I tried to get Toon Zon working with my existing Eltako WSZ12DE-32A power meter with S0 output, but had no luck up to now. I wired the S0 interface as posted here. I can install Toon zon without a problem, the input is recognized. But unfortunately is shows no power generation (apparently it is not counting pulses).

What I already tried:
- If I discsonnect the 2 wires from the S0 input and short them manually then the Toon does show a power generation --> meteradaptor /cable seems OK
- If I measure with a multimeter is see 3.2V across the S0 output with the correct polarity --> voltage / polarity OK

So the issue seems to be in the Eltako WSZ12DE-32A power meter. But that thing is working fine with another 3.3v pulse counter I have been using before.

Any clues? Can the pulse length/shape be incompatible with Toon? Or is there any further setting to check?

The datasheet can be found here
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

That is weird. Your datasheet says 'pontentiaal vrij via optokopler'. So there should be no voltage on the s0 if disconnected. Or do you mean when it is connected? Does, with the wires disconnected, the S0 make a connection when the led is pulsing (measure with your multimeter with Ohm, should go to 0 or near).
How did you connect it? You really need to connect it like this post viewtopic.php?f=95&t=11969&start=15#p85351
So three wires, not two.
Timeless

Post by Timeless »

I recently tried the same approach, only I'm using a ESP8266 with 2 optocouplers to make it work.
What I found out is that the LED signal is pulsing, so it measures the current going through the LED. And probably expect some kind of pulse back from the light sensor.
When I attach a LED and start pulsing the optocoupler from my ESP8266 which is attached on the photosensor wires, it works quite well for my power meter. so maybe that's your issue here?

One issue though, I also tried this with the heating (gas) sensor, only problem there is that it is not always counting my optocoupler pulses. Could it be that the gas sensor need some kind of 20% --> 90% change instead of 0% --> 100%? Since a power meters can have a rotating disk or pulse led, while a gas meter normally only contains a rotating disk so in which it is always expecting some light to be detected?

I'm trying to simulate this because I already have a set of power/gas meters (Youless), and want to couple those readouts into Toon, and since there is no software approach yet, my best bet is to use the meteradaptor with a ESP8266 simulating pulses based JSON gathered from my Youless.
"The greatest good you can do for another, is not to share your own riches, but to reveal to him, his own."
- Benjamin Disraeli -
mogwai
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by mogwai »

TheHogNL wrote:That is weird. Your datasheet says 'pontentiaal vrij via optokopler'. So there should be no voltage on the s0 if disconnected. Or do you mean when it is connected? Does, with the wires disconnected, the S0 make a connection when the led is pulsing (measure with your multimeter with Ohm, should go to 0 or near).
How did you connect it? You really need to connect it like this post viewtopic.php?f=95&t=11969&start=15#p85351
So three wires, not two.
Thanks for thinking along. Let me explain what I did up to now in more detail:
- I did connect the meteradapter with the S0 output of the power meter with 3 wires according to the post you are referring to.
- After making that connection I validated the voltage over the S0 input (provided by the meteradapter, not the s0 port of course) to make sure I did make the correct connections. There I measure 3.2 - 3.3V with the correct polarity, so should be fine.
- When the meter generates a pulse I see a short drop in voltage, so the optokopler seems to do its job.
- Today I also reconnected my old 3.3V counter again --> That is counting fine.

So the problem really seems to be with the meteradapter not detecting the pulses from the s0 output. Strangely enough it does detect pulses when I short the wires connected to the s0 output manually...

Can the meteradapter be somehow misconfigured in terms of pulse length or pulse level? Is there any way to "reset" that?
Timeless

Post by Timeless »

mogwai wrote:
TheHogNL wrote:That is weird. Your datasheet says 'pontentiaal vrij via optokopler'. So there should be no voltage on the s0 if disconnected. Or do you mean when it is connected? Does, with the
So the problem really seems to be with the meteradapter not detecting the pulses from the s0 output. Strangely enough it does detect pulses when I short the wires connected to the s0 output manually...
Can the meteradapter be somehow misconfigured in terms of pulse length or pulse level? Is there any way to "reset" that?
1. Is the green LED on your meter adapter continuously on? It shouldn't go off until it counts the first pulse.
2. Have you tried reversing the S0 wires? since there is probably a NPN (or sometimes PNP) transistor in your power meter it has to have the right polarity, otherwise almost no current will flow.
"The greatest good you can do for another, is not to share your own riches, but to reveal to him, his own."
- Benjamin Disraeli -
mogwai
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by mogwai »

Problem solved! Apparently the meteradapter "learns" the pulse properties and failed to do that properly the first time. After power cycling the meteradapter with de S0 cable connected the LED indeed stays on until the first pulse from the s0 port is received. Since then it properly detects pulses and shows the solar power generated on my Toon :).
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Ohw yes true :D
This is indeed how the meteradapter works. Only during a boot it detects (runs a few tests) the sensors properly and will only work with that settings until the next power cycle.
Cctl01
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Cctl01 »

Is module 14-33-022-119 supported voor zon op toon? I conned everything as described in this topic but get no reading. The status led goes of when I plug the adapter and blinks when receiving a pulse. But nothing shows up on Toon.
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Hard to tell. This is the serial number, a product number is more helpful :-)
Cctl01
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Cctl01 »

marcelr wrote:Hard to tell. This is the serial number, a product number is more helpful :-)
D'oh :oops:
Product number is 6500-1300-7200

Return to “Toon Hardware”