Forum about forum-provided applications on Toon

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Toon app: Kalender

Post by Toonz »

Hi all,

I just published the stable 1.1.3 version of the kalendar app in ToonStore.

Functionality:
- read kalendar ICS files (example: google calendars, Office365 Outlook calendars, iCloud calendars)
- show the active or next upcoming kalendar event on a tile in dim state
- show a notification according to the reminder setting of the appointment.
- in the config screen notifications can be disabled, showing colors can be disabled and a list of active calendars is shown with their color.
- when the active appointment has finished then all data, tile and screens are refreshed
- show the first three events on the tile in normal state with a color identifying the source calendar
- when clicking on the tile you get a full screen with all future events (you can flip through the pages with the dotted selector) with a refresh option if you just manually updated the settings file or the google calendar itself.
- the app supports multiple google calendars, url's to be added to the file /mnt/data/tsc/calendar.userSettings.json, format (second entry contains the public holidays as an example):

Code: Select all

{"Calendar_URL":[ "https://<calendarurl_to_basic.ics>" , "https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/nl.dutch%23holiday%40group.v.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics" ], "DimTileExtended":"Yes", "RefreshIntervalInMinutes":30, "ShowAnimation":"Yes", "ShowColors":"Yes", "ShowNotifications":"Yes"}
There is no limit to the number of calendars you can include, just the Toon hardware limitations.

You can find the URL to your private google calendar by:
- visit https://calendar.google.com/ on your PC and login
- In the left column under 'Mijn Agenda's' press the three dots to the right of the agenda.
- press 'Instellen en delen'
- scroll down to the block "Agenda integreren" and copy the URL under "Geheim adres in Ical indeling"
- paste this URL in the userSettings.json file

You can find the URL to your icloud calendar by:
- visit https://icloud.com/ on your PC and login
- Start the Agenda app
- Click on the 'delen' icon to the right of the calendar
- Tick the checkbox 'Publieke agenda'
- copy the URL which starts with webcal://.....
- paste this url in the userSettings.json file but replace 'webcal' by 'https'

Repeat this for other calendars you want to display on Toon.
The entries in all calendars will be combined in one view on Toon.

Have fun and let the change requests and bug reports coming..... :-)

Kind regardz,

Toonz
Last edited by Toonz on Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
member of the Toon Software Collective
Cctl01
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Toon app: Kalender

Post by Cctl01 »

Fantastic app! I'm going to give it a try w will report back.
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

hi all,

three fixes underway in version 1.0.1 later this evening:
1. I noticed a bit weird behaviour when testing different calendars. The javascript implementation on Toon is not really acting as per the standards when recalculating the dates to local time.
Resulting in some (not all) wrong dates, fixed via a workround.
2. Secondly, when having an appointment with a very long title, the title was shown over the adjacent tile as well in dim state.
3. Some calendars start with summer time events, creating a few fake entries on Toon. I am skipping these now.

Kind regardz,

Toonz

EDIT: 1.0.1 in ToonStore now....
if this is your first installation you manually need to add the file userSettings.json (sample attached) to the folder ../apps/calendar
userSettings.zip
(285 Bytes) Downloaded 911 times
Last edited by Toonz on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
yjb

Post by yjb »

Hi,

the 1.01 update did indeed fix the wrong dates and NaN related issues. As far as I can determine this now works as expected (Toon2)

Thanks for this!
mAiden

Post by mAiden »

Thanks for the fix Toonz.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

hi all,

I see this still as as beta release to be honest, I am pretty sure the code needs to get much more robust to handle different calendars.
Also the layout of the tiles and screen was just done to prove it's working.
Any suggestions/bug reports are welcome.

My first next focus is to ensure the app works fine as well if you export the calendar with CET times (I believe you can configure this in google calendar).
When that is done I think ICS files from different calendar providers can be read as well.
Secondly, when you press 'Verversen' twice quickly, the import function is fired twice resulting in double entries. Need to block that.

Suggestion from TheHogNL: do you want a notification when an appointment starts? Or use the 'reminder' setting to fire the notification?
Personally I hate the notification bar so it will be configurable for sure :-)

Kind regardz,

Toonz
Blacky's Boss
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Blacky's Boss »

Hi,

This is what I've been waiting for! However, V1.0.1 doesn't seem to install from toonstore. It goes through all the paces, but the files don't show up, and Toonstore still recommends it as new.
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Apologies, I forgot to copy one file to the server. Can you try again? Installation only went fine if you had installed 1.0.0 earlier. Don't forget to manually create userSettings.json file (see above) after first installation.
Blacky's Boss
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Blacky's Boss »

No problem. I just installed again and it looks ok. Will look at the JSON file tonight. Just to be sure, I need to add a URL to the existing line (comma seperated), not make a new line?
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

correct, I included a placeholder for your own URL "your_url_here" in the sample file above, but you can add more than 1, separated by commas
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Hi all,

version 1.0.2 is available on ToonStore.
Changelog 1.0.2:
- added issuing a notification according to the reminder setting in the appointments (only processing reminders relative to the start of the appointment)
- added a config screen to be able to disable the notifications because I hate notifications on Toon :-)
- if the userSettings.json file doesn't exists, a default one is created with the NL holidays calendar
- appointments in the past are not processed at all anymore
- centered all labels on the tile in dim state

I consider this as the first public release (out of beta stage).

Feel free to post change requests.
Let me know if you want compatibility with non-google calendars.

Kind regardz,

Toonz
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Next changes I will work on:
- implement local time zones in google ICS calendar (have an example now)
- implement recurring appointments (currently only the initial appointment is shown, not all recurrences)
marcog
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by marcog »

Hi Toonz,

Any chance of implementing an iCloud calendar? I made one public (read-only) and the link used starts with: webcal://p30-calendars.icloud.com/published/xxxxxxxxxx

Regards Marco
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

marcog wrote:Hi Toonz,
Any chance of implementing an iCloud calendar? I made one public (read-only) and the link used starts with: webcal://p30-calendars.icloud.com/published/xxxxxxxxxx
Regards Marco
Will have a look... :-) (first I want to get version 1.0.3 online to solve the boot issues on Toon1 with large calendars, currently testing....)
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Hi all,

I just published version 1.0.3 on ToonStore.
I strongly recommend existing users to upgrade because of performance improvements of this new version.
Changelog 1.0.3:
- rewritten the core engine (3 times as fast now). No delays anymore during boot of Toon 1
Calendars start getting retrieved 2,5 minutes after finishing the start of the calendar app to allow the boot process of Toon 1 to finish properly.
- the first future occurrence of simple recurring items are now shown for appointments which simply repeat weekly or yearly.
(other types of recurrences will be added later)

Kind regardz,

Toonz

Return to “Toon Apps”