Forum about forum-provided applications on Toon

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

gielie

Re: Toon app: boiler status

Post by gielie »

TheHogNL wrote:
Doerakker wrote:After updating firmware to 5.39.7 some values show NAN

Is this a known issue ? See attached screenshot
Yes. For unknown reason the Toon developers removed boiler water in and out from the information available for us. Maybe to save disk space because they don't use those values themselves in a regular toon.
That’s a bummer, are you guys able to bring this back or are we doomed to a previous firmware? I just did the update without reading this. Is there a easy way to downgrade or do I have to do a recovery?
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

there is no easy way to downgrade. Best option is to do a recovery and then update to 5.33.9 and stay there forever.
Is this really that important? You can also consider getting the OTGW board, that will give you full access to the OT protocol independent from Toon.
member of the Toon Software Collective
Ierlandfan

Post by Ierlandfan »

Can we modify the logging package that MarcelR created long time ago to use as a proxy to log the Opentherm traffic without interfering with the normal behaviour of Toon? Solves a lot of problems at once and in the future.
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Ierlandfan wrote:Can we modify the logging package that MarcelR created long time ago to use as a proxy to log the Opentherm traffic without interfering with the normal behaviour of Toon? Solves a lot of problems at once and in the future.
that is not possible as the data stream used in that process is not available anymore since firmware 3.6 or so. The only option is to install an OTGW at the moment. Or downgrade to 5.33.9 and stay there forever
mogwai
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by mogwai »

I made the same stupid mistake to upgrade to 5.39.7 (hoping it would solve the rather frequent reboots of my Toon1) without looking at the forum first. Now I also lost the boiler temperature logging :(. One of the reasons to initially get the Toon was to get access to the opentherm data without having to add yet another device mingling with the opentherm traffic...

So if you guys see any option to revive this functionality without downgrading this would be highly appreciated!
mennozon
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by mennozon »

mogwai wrote: So if you guys see any option to revive this functionality without downgrading this would be highly appreciated!
I've downgraded only the thermstat application by downloading the version I previously used, this seems to work but I only tested it for a day so please be aware that things might be broken by doing this.

So far everything seems okay (I can read boiler temperatures again and I have heating working) but the binary increased more than 4 times from the previous version, makes you wonder what they've all changed..

Steps I've used were enable VPN with the update-rooted script, wget the file, let opkg downgrade it and reboot.

Code: Select all

sh update-rooted.sh -o
wget http://feed.hae.int/feeds/qb2/POOL/happ-thermstat_1.2404-master_qb2.ipk
opkg --force-downgrade install happ-thermstat_1.2404-master_qb2.ipk
gielie

Post by gielie »

mennozon wrote:
mogwai wrote: So if you guys see any option to revive this functionality without downgrading this would be highly appreciated!
I've downgraded only the thermstat application by downloading the version I previously used, this seems to work but I only tested it for a day so please be aware that things might be broken by doing this.

So far everything seems okay (I can read boiler temperatures again and I have heating working) but the binary increased more than 4 times from the previous version, makes you wonder what they've all changed..

Steps I've used were enable VPN with the update-rooted script, wget the file, let opkg downgrade it and reboot.

sh update-rooted.sh -o
Your a life saver, this works like a charm. Let’s see how long this keeps working.
Maybe the dev guys can use this for a further update?

I use the temp in/out to see if my t delta is okay.

@mennozon Thanks for the solution.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

gielie wrote:
mennozon wrote:

sh update-rooted.sh -o
Your a life saver, this works like a charm. Let’s see how long this keeps working.
Maybe the dev guys can use this for a further update?

I use the temp in/out to see if my t delta is okay.

@mennozon Thanks for the solution.
My point of view is to better use another type of IOT to monitor your temperatures of the heating system.
Force downgrading the happ-thermstat package is ok, but we don't know how that can block other thing or newer updates in the future. So I would never put that in the update script.

For there is no real reason to update (no new features or bugfixes), we could also just block any future update (until maybe finally new features are added). Is that a better idea?
Member of the Toon Software Collective
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

TheHogNL wrote: For there is no real reason to update (no new features or bugfixes), we could also just block any future update (until maybe finally new features are added). Is that a better idea?
I believe only a very small number of users is actually using the boiler in/out values. Better create an option in de TSC menu to opt-out of future firmware upgrades and let the majority of users update when new firmware is available.
Downgrading just happ-thermstat is asking for problems in my view (the risk will be increased with each new firmware). My 2 cents.
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TerrorSource »

Toonz wrote:
TheHogNL wrote: For there is no real reason to update (no new features or bugfixes), we could also just block any future update (until maybe finally new features are added). Is that a better idea?
I believe only a very small number of users is actually using the boiler in/out values. Better create an option in de TSC menu to opt-out of future firmware upgrades and let the majority of users update when new firmware is available.
Downgrading just happ-thermstat is asking for problems in my view (the risk will be increased with each new firmware). My 2 cents.
Agree with Toonz,

forcing a downgrade of a package isn't a good solution. i would prefer to restore the Toon to 5.33.9 via ToonRecovery and never upgrade to newer versions.
When you force a package downgrade after each firmware the difference between the latest version and the old, downgraded package, will become greater and greater with no sight on what else is using the package or any dependencies.
It might cause your Toon to become unstable.
gielie

Post by gielie »

@Devs, i see your point and that is fine, for me this is the easiest way to get this option back with the least effort. My time of opening the Toon and play with it has past.
I won't update to newer versions anymore, my Toon1 has become so old and slow maybe its about time to look for something else/new maybe a prehacked Toon2.
glsf91

Post by glsf91 »

Toonz wrote: I believe only a very small number of users is actually using the boiler in/out values. Better create an option in de TSC menu to opt-out of future firmware upgrades and let the majority of users update when new firmware is available.
I like the opt-out feature in the TSC menu
knug2
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by knug2 »

Same issue here.

I'm using the OT information to control my custom build zone-regulation.
I also have a custom programmed OT arduino to read out all the OT traffic between boiler and Toon ( and to start/override the TOON when I'm zone-regulating ). However, i'm using the Toon boiler setpoint( which is a result of the Toon PID output ) value to control valves that lead to my livingroom where the Toon is located.

So I really need to revert back to the previous firmware version, or I will downgrade the Thermstat app as mentioned above.
knug2
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by knug2 »

mennozon wrote:

sh update-rooted.sh -o

Thanks man! Your indeed a lifesaver in my case ;)! Got everything working again. Hopefully this will be solved in future updates?
mogwai
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by mogwai »

mennozon wrote:

sh update-rooted.sh -o
Today I finally had some time to give it a try. It works like a charm, thanks!

Return to “Toon Apps”