OTGW firmware improvement suggestion

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

AndrewFG
Starting Member
Starting Member

OTGW firmware improvement suggestion

Post by AndrewFG »

Following is a suggestion for a minor improvement to the next release of the OTGW firmware. When running the OTGW in Stand-Alone mode, the OTGW communicates with the boiler via 16 possible Message Id's (as shown here https://otgw.tclcode.com/standalone.html#operation).

1. For the boiler water it sends MsgId:1 (setpoint value) and MsgId:25 (actual value).
2. For the domestic hot water it sends MsgId:56 (setpoint value) -- but it does not send MsgId:26 (actual value).

So my suggestion is, to be consistent with sending setpoint and actual messages, and add MsgId:26 to the default list of messages sent.

(Note: obviously sending AA=26 does solve the problem; but I just think that MsgId:26 should be included in the list by default).
hvxl

Re: OTGW firmware improvement suggestion

Post by hvxl »

I don't agree that sacrificing flexibility for a hardcoded value that happens to fit your needs qualifies as an improvement. The sequence of messages the OTGW sends in standalone mode intentionally includes user defined slots to allow everyone to obtain the information most relevant to them. If you like to see the information for MsgID 26, then you can use the AA=26 command (as you have found). This only needs to be done once. The data is stored in EEPROM and is evolved when upgrading the firmware. So it shouldn't be a big deal.

Your comparison with MsgIDs 1 & 25 is flawed because those messages are instrumental for controlling the boiler. The information from MsgID 26 is merely nice to have. Not all boilers (including mine) even provide this information.
Schelte
AndrewFG
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: OTGW firmware improvement suggestion

Post by AndrewFG »

Ok.

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”