Mutli zone heating with Toon

If you don't know where to post, post here.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

Merc
Starting Member
Starting Member

Mutli zone heating with Toon

Post by Merc »

Hi all,
I searched the forums but did not find a similar topic yet.

Has anybody tried to setup use the Toon in combination with this multi zone heating integration for Home Assistant:

https://github.com/tpacri/multizone_generic_thermostat

What this does is provide a possibility to set and control the temperature in individual rooms without having to heat up the master room, where the Toon is installed.
It checks if all the set temperatures are reached and keeps heating the ones which are too cold still until this is the case.

My thought is that a combination of this script with smart TRVs would provide quite a powerful heating system for the whole house (similar to what the Honeywell Evohome does).
I had a quick look at the script and compared it to the CLIMATE integration for the rooted Toon (from cyberjunky on Github github.com/cyberjunky/home-assistant-to ... on_climate). I am not a programmer and was not able to figure out how to integrate the TOON as a device in the multi zone heating script but I assume it won"t be that difficult?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Merc
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Mutli zone heating with Toon

Post by TheHogNL »

The toon2 provides STRV multi zone setup itself. However it requires a constant water flow from your boiler or district heating as it will not, in that mode, give a commando to the boiler anymore to start heating. So your boiler should be in 'weerafhankelijke' mode (WAR).

For the normale toon function. what do you expect the toon to do? It will simply just give you a current room temperature and a setpoint on which it signal the boiler to start or not. Not more than that. The only value you can set is the setpoint.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
Merc
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Merc »

Hi TheHogNL,
well what I am aiming at is that the Toon (and its thermostat installed in the living room) will not really turn off the heater anymore when the temperature in the living room is reached but only once the temperature in ANY of the defined rooms is reached.
I will install TRVs on all radiators and they should close the valve once the set temperature is achieved, meaning no more water flow to this room.
Once ALL rooms have reached their set temperature the TOON should turn off the heating and only turn it on again when the current temperature in one of the rooms drops below the set temperature, where the installed TRV would also open its valve again. So I would like to mainly use the TOON as the heater switch, but reacting to all rooms, rather than just one.

Please let me know if there some logicall thinking error in this. But isn"t this what some commercial systems (such as EVO) are doing as well? Since Home Assistant would manage all the room thermometers (and possibly even the radiator thermostats) I would think this should be possible? And quite a nice setup to get away from this "one room to rule them all" solution.

Thanks,
Merc
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Hi,
The Toon2 in STRV mode will NEVER turn of the heater. It does not control the heater anymore. It only controls the STRV's based on the room temperature setpoints.
That is what I mean with that you need a constant flowing water from your boiler or district heating. And ofcourse a AVDO to short-circuit the overflow of water.
Not ideal, but that is what it is.

You can ofcourse script around that and, using a opentherm master shield or a simple on/off relay switch on/off the boiler yourself.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
Merc
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Merc »

But the question was concerning a Toon1 anyhow where the option to control the valves is not implemented. Hence the idea to combine those two scripts.
Merc
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Merc »

Hi all,
I just wanted to share with you the solution that I have found to realize a multi zone heating, combining Home Assistant with the great Toon integration and a digital TRVs. Maybe this is useful to others.

My setup:

Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi
running Raspberrymatic on it to be able to control Homematic devices (have also soldered and installed the required radio module and installed that on the pi)
5 Homematic TRVs (for bed room, living room - dining room, office, bath room)
rooted Toon1 in living room which controls the central heating

I have set up binary sensors in Home Assistant which compare the temperature of a thermometer in each room with the setpoint temperture of the TRV in the same room. They will report "true" or "false" depending on the result of the comparison.
All those binary sensors are combined into a "heating group". In Home Assistant these groupd behave in such a way that the whole group is "false" as long as all the sensors are "false". As soon as one of the sensors is "true" so is the group.
When the heating group is false, nothing happens.
As soon as the heating group becomes "true" (i.e. one of the measured temperatures is lower that the setpoint tempertaur in the same room) it triggers an automation and the setpoint temperture of the Toon is increased to 22 degrees C. So at that moment the heating gets turned on and hot water will only flow into the room where the TRV demands a higher temperature than what has been measured.
As soon as the setpoint is reacht the "heating group" becomes "false" again and this triggers an automation that switched the Toon setpoint tempertaure to 15degC - turning of the burner.

With this setup only the room that is actually cold gets heated and I do not have to mess around with the Toon integration.

Hope this is useful for anybody.

Cheers,

Merc

Return to “Toon miscellaneous”