Z-Stick backup info

Forum all about Z-Wave Fibaro
AshaiRey

Z-Stick backup info

Post by AshaiRey »

I had some questions for AeonLabs customer service about making a backup of a Z-Stick
The Z-Stick don't support a network backup protocol and there isn't any software for it to do so. Because of that i am out of luck.
However, it appears that it is only possible to make a backup of a Z-Stick controller via a Vera Gateway. Since i don't have one it's not an option for me.

But there is some good News too
A Z-Stick gen5 will be release soon and this is what customer service told me about it.
>The Z-Stick Gen5 will be compatible with Z-Wave backup tools, i am in contact with our engineers now to see what methods can be done to back up the Z-Stick Gen5.

And in a later email
>We will be releasing a backup tool with the Z-Stick Gen5 when they are released. The Z-Stick Gen5 will be available within the next month or 2.
Bram
mrqnapper

Re: Z-Stick backup info

Post by mrqnapper »

That would be nice. Hopefully the new z-stick version will operate a bit more reliable as well. Experienced some trouble last night again. HS3 could not control the z-stick any-more. Only today after taking the Z-stick out for some time it suddenly got back to work again.. So a back up possibility would be nice, but better performance and reliability even more.

So would the new Z-net controler Homeseer introduced be a better alternative? Is it already available for the Eu?

Wiechert.
mhn

Post by mhn »

mrqnapper wrote:That would be nice. Hopefully the new z-stick version will operate a bit more reliable as well. Experienced some trouble last night again. HS3 could not control the z-stick any-more.
Wiechert.
Try a powered USB hub. That made my z-stick stable.

Regards
Morten
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

It is a known issue for some Z-Wave sticks to stop responding from time to time, due to a full z-wave que. The stick will hangup and pull/insert the plug is the only way to resolve. I have found this issue with both the Aeon Labs, but also with the Z-Wave.ME stick. HS2 has far less issues with this compared to HS3
Last edited by raymonvdm on Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

For me the Z-Stick works flawless for over a year now on HS2 so no experience there (knocking on bare wood for good luck)
One last thing the Gen5 stick would hopefully hit the market in april so lets see if this is really happening
Bram
mrqnapper

Post by mrqnapper »

Hi,

I have some troubles with my Aeon-z-stick. It receives signals but does not send signals towards modules. I have tried everything to improve working. Powered usb hub, change the position of the dongle, take it out the usb and return it again. restart the whole system over and over, running optimisation, etc.
I use it with Hs3 which updated to the latest versions (plugin, etc.).
The problem is that it works sometimes for a few days and than the trouble starts again...

Now before buying a new Stick, Which is expensive and from which I am wondering if it will improve the working, I would like your advise:

What can I do to solve this problem.
Which Z-Stick will be the best replacement?
Which Z-stick has the best reach and power? I prefer to have it on the attic or so, not visible in the open space in the hall or room.
Do ready to use systems have this problem as well? (like fibaro and other controllers).
What is your experience with this?

Wiechert.
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I changed to a UZB stick and it is stable ever since. The stick is located on the attic connected to a Dlink powered USB hub and a USB extender cable of around 1.5m. The stick is hanging right under the sealing
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
mrqnapper

Post by mrqnapper »

Ok that sounds good :)
Where can I buy one (in the Netherlands)?
Are you Using it with HS3 ?
Do I need to reconnect all the modules when changing towards that stick? Or can I use the HS3 backup function?
What is the difference between the UZB stick and the New Aeon Labs stick?

Wiechert.
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

Yes it is available in the netherlands, and i know where and sent you a DM
mrqnapper

Post by mrqnapper »

mrqnapper

Post by mrqnapper »

I'm thinking of trying this one. But I saw it has no button to include the modules when it is not connected to usb. Can I still use it with Hs3 some of my modules are outside the house? And is it possible to just copy my Z-stick or backup from HS3 onto the new stick?

Wiechert.
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

Use a laptop with hs3 just for adding. The new stick support backup and restore. I could never get that working with the aeon labs stick

Verstuurd vanaf mijn M6752 met Tapatalk
groeten,
Harry
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I just installed the stick on my HS3 machine in the attic and started to add nodes one by one. It looks like the stick does no longer need direct contact with the module u are adding :D

Main Features
Euro Z-Wave Plus Certifed Interface for use with HomeSeer Software and HomeTrollers
Supports Z-Wave Plus (and older) Products
Supports Network Wide Inclusion (NWI) for Easy Product "Pairing"
mrqnapper

Post by mrqnapper »

Ok, that will help. But there is no way to copy the old Z-stick onto the new stick somehow?

Wiechert
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I just started over because i also migrated to HS3 during the process i just did room for room until the old stick was empty and HS3 was master of all rooms

Return to “Fibaro”