connect second toon to one meter

Forum about Toon hardware, both versions 1 and 2 of Toon

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

themman78
Starting Member
Starting Member

connect second toon to one meter

Post by themman78 »

Is it possible to connect a second (rooted) Toon to a meter, already connected to another Toon? I've searched this forum and Eneco's own forum, but couldn't find the answer.
I realize it could lead to possible issues, like, who's leading in enabling the heating system. But then again, it would simply be the Toon that likes the house the warmest.
The main reason is that I would like to view statistics on my second Toon also.
Perhaps later on I would like to enable the thermostat functionality. This would mean a synchronization of both Toon's.
I think this could be done.
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: connect second toon to one meter

Post by marcelr »

If you have a meter with a P1 port, you can split the output and feed it into two separate meter adapters, one for each Toon.
I don't think you can easily drive a single boiler with two Toons. You will be very much prone to data collisions in the communication between the two boiler modules and the single boiler, if it is at all possible for the boiler to deliver the drive current for the 24V signals for two boiler modules instead of one.
makkie2002

Post by makkie2002 »

I would be interested into something related!
I want a second toon for the second floor of my house. The first toon controls the first floor.
It would be nice if the first toon could command the setpoints of the second toon and vice versa.
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

That is a relative simple app to build (just some http calls) . However, you can achieve the same with domoticz, then you can control Toon from any browser, mobile app as well.
member of the Toon Software Collective
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

marcelr wrote:If you have a meter with a P1 port, you can split the output and feed it into two separate meter adapters, one for each Toon.
I don't think you can easily drive a single boiler with two Toons. You will be very much prone to data collisions in the communication between the two boiler modules and the single boiler, if it is at all possible for the boiler to deliver the drive current for the 24V signals for two boiler modules instead of one.
Or just use the on/off instead of opentherm. You need two boileradapters ofcourse to supply 24v to both toons. Connecting the boiler side of both boileradapters in parallel they will then work in a logical OR. If one of them is asking for heating it will close the wire and will tell the boiler to heat up.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

makkie2002 wrote:I would be interested into something related!
I want a second toon for the second floor of my house. The first toon controls the first floor.
It would be nice if the first toon could command the setpoints of the second toon and vice versa.
You mean zone control? Quby is already building this in newer firmwares, using smart radiator valves througout your house (just like honeywell evohome). It is still unclear when Quby is really going to launch is but probably before this winter. And it is unclear to whom this is deliverd (Eneco customers, or only to Boxx or other countries). We are pretty sure that we can enable this function on rooted toons. It could be that only the toon2 is fast enough to run all the heavy code to do this properly.

If you just want to go for two seperate toons controling the boiler you will probably also need one or two motorized 2-way valves to close the circuit on which there is no request for heat, or just live with a overshoot of heating where no heat demand is requested.
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TerrorSource »

themman78 wrote:Is it possible to connect a second (rooted) Toon to a meter, already connected to another Toon? I've searched this forum and Eneco's own forum, but couldn't find the answer.
I realize it could lead to possible issues, like, who's leading in enabling the heating system. But then again, it would simply be the Toon that likes the house the warmest.
The main reason is that I would like to view statistics on my second Toon also.
Perhaps later on I would like to enable the thermostat functionality. This would mean a synchronization of both Toon's.
I think this could be done.
Do you mean the "meteradapter" ? Thought that the meteradapter can be connected to multiple Toon's at the same time.
You can also setup multiple meteradapters in 1 Toon sindce a few firmware versions ago.
themman78
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by themman78 »

TerrorSource wrote: Do you mean the "meteradapter" ? Thought that the meteradapter can be connected to multiple Toon's at the same time.
You can also setup multiple meteradapters in 1 Toon sindce a few firmware versions ago.
Yes i mean the "meteradapter". The adapter - with the blue leds - that reads the analog usage. I read analog usage of both gas and electricity. No P1.
The usage is wireless read by my first and main Toon, which is the thermostat of my boiler so responsible for heating the house.

What i would like to know if it's possible that this same meteradater send it's usage wireless to a second Toon. This Toon will be - at first - not be used as a thermostat.
I do have a second meteradapter laying around, but connecting two sensors to one electricity/gas meter is not possible. There's no room for them to place.
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

OK, connecting two adapters to a single meter only works for P1-ports. But you can try to connect the meter adapter to a second toon. If that works, you should get data on that one as well.
Rudolf

Post by Rudolf »

What we really need is realvnc/tigervnc (the client) running on Toon; so we can connect Toon with VNC to another Toon. :D :lol:
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Rudolf wrote:What we really need is realvnc/tigervnc (the client) running on Toon; so we can connect Toon with VNC to another Toon. :D :lol:
This is a tough one. You probably need to stop the qt-gui before starting the vnc client. But Toon will try to start qt-gui again rightaway.

You can also consider just running a html 5 browser on Toon and have all functionality elsewhere (in the cloud, on your NAS, raspberry, whatever).
Makes it easy to add functionality centrally and you can also connect to other instances of Toon in that cloud easily.

(Don't tell Quby, otherwise it is game over for us :-), or we pick up the challenge and build a better one :-) )

A very stable Wifi connection is a requirement though for this to work, Toon 2 is not there yet.....
member of the Toon Software Collective
Ierlandfan

Post by Ierlandfan »

Does anyone knows if Toon can be emulated in Qemu? I never tried but I think that would work. Only problem is the interaction with the keteladapter I think. We cannot feed the computer with the voltage supplied by the keteladapter so we need some Electronic logic that does the conversion from keteladapter to serial input. That way the data can easily be rerouted to the emulated Toon since it expects a serial data input/ouput device. We don't need to emulate the WIFI part (disable it ) since Toon has a fixed network connection which can also be emulated. Z-Wave can be added by using a Z-Wave Dongle for example so that's not a real problem. Maybe a driver nees to be added or so.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

I did try to run it on qemu but without proper knowledge and experience with qemu I never had success.
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

We're slowly moving off-topic, guys.

I'm working on qemu for toon2. Bootloader, kernel and rootfs need to be adapted for Qemu, all the rest is there. The boiler adapter might be emulated by Schelte's OTGW. just draw power from a 24V PSU, and use the USB port to talk to the boiler via the OTGW. The z-wave controller will be a bit harder to do.

OK, now back to the TS question: can you connect a single meter adapter to two separate toons? I will give it a shot tonight :-).
themman78
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by themman78 »

marcelr wrote:OK, now back to the TS question: can you connect a single meter adapter to two separate toons? I will give it a shot tonight :-).
any luck connecting a second Toon to your meter?

Return to “Toon Hardware”