Great :-) I also read your other post about this
Member of the Toon Software Collective
NLKris
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Toon Recovery

Post by NLKris »

Hi,

I got a bricked Toon and saw you've released this tool. So I wanted to try and test out for you guys. (Toon screen is also death so nothing to lose.)

Only problem is to install the app. I had the ToonRoote rapp working, so pyton etc is working just fine. When I wanted to create the right maps I got acces denied. How can I fix this? Did a fresh PI OS install. Same result. Have to put sudo before everything.

No permision for /srv/nfs/

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ mkdir -p /srv/nfs
mkdir: kan map ‘/srv/nfs’ niet aanmaken: Toegang geweigerd
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /proc/fs/nfsd/versions
cat: /proc/fs/nfsd/versions: Toegang geweigerd
And to go ahead. When this is working and I start the app. I will be here " When the Toon is booted into the recovery environment start your favourite serial terminal emulator. You will presented a menu like this one." How to start up the menu? If you just start the terminal it won't work right?

You would help me to give me the details. Thank you.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

You need to run those commands with root privileges. I'll update the readme for that.

The menu will be autostarted. If you start your serial terminal fast enough you will see the toon still booting and then start the menu. If you open the serial terminal to late, you will see an empty screen. But just hit enter and the menu will reload.
NLKris
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by NLKris »

I uses the command

$ sudo su
That gave me acces to install all the files. So then I started the tool and got the next question.

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi/ToonRecovery# sudo python . --jtag-available --gatewayip 192.168.178.1
INFO:__main__:Starting up...
INFO:__main__:Detected JTAG hardware 'rpi3'
INFO:__main__:Setting server ip to 192.168.178.18
INFO:recovery:Waiting for Toon to restart
INFO:recovery:Toon has U-Boot version 2010.09-R10
INFO:recovery:Loading new bootloader
INFO:recovery:Starting openocd
INFO:recovery:Waiting for 5 seconds
INFO:recovery:Halting CPU
INFO:recovery:Loading new image to RAM
INFO:recovery:Starting up new image
INFO:recovery:Waiting for Toon to restart
INFO:recovery:Toon has U-Boot version 2010.09
INFO:recovery:Using password to log in
INFO:recovery:Logging in to U-Boot
INFO:recovery:Patching U-Boot
INFO:recovery:Requesting network details using DHCP...
ERROR:recovery:Could not find value for netmask environment variable
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi/ToonRecovery#
How to get the right gateway/ip? Also I'm not sure how to open the serial terminal. Is it just LXTerminal on the pi, of do i have to gave in some commands?

Thanks.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Did you maybe forget to connect the LAN UTP cable to the toon? And can you try with this extra: --output-level DEBUG

I use 'screen /dev/ttyS0 115200' for the terminal connection. But other use minicom. See https://www.cyberciti.biz/hardware/5-li ... l-console/
Make sure to use 115200 as baud rate as the Toon requires that baud rate from the serial connection.
NLKris
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by NLKris »

Going to connect internet cable..

With the command it tells me bash: screen: opdracht niet gevonden. (Command not found)
Will try the other one.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

NLKris wrote:Going to connect internet cable..
Not your internet cable but a normal UTP cable from the Toon towards your router.
NLKris wrote: With the command it tells me bash: screen: opdracht niet gevonden. (Command not found)
Will try the other one.
You need to install those applications :-)
So: sudo apt install screen
Or: sudo apt install minicom
NLKris
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by NLKris »

Oke some News:

Since I reinstalled my pi I got 9/10 times this:

sudo python . --jtag-available
INFO:__main__:Starting up...
INFO:__main__:Detected JTAG hardware 'rpi3'
INFO:__main__:Written private and public key pair to ./id_rsa and ./id_rsa.pub, respectively
INFO:rooter:Waiting for Toon to restart
CRITICAL:__main__:device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)
Some thimes it worked. So I did an full pi update with $ sudo apt full-upgrade.
After that I tried again, and after 9 times it doesnt gave me the readiness error and IT WORKED.
So now I have fixed my old (screenless) bricked Toon as a test. Going to root en update it now. But the readiness error makes it very hard. Never had it before.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

You missed this part of the readme: Then make sure the serial port on the Pi is enabled and the serial console is disabled using raspi_config and reboot if necessary.

But that log is from the ToonRooter and not the ToonRecovery so I am lost what you are doing

And a ToonRecovery doesn't need a rooting anymore. It is already rooted with default password 'toon'
NLKris
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by NLKris »

Sorry, found it it was placed in the wrong topic. Did not change a bit, only getting the readiness problem. It worked one time and that might fix my toon.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

NLKris wrote:Sorry, found it it was placed in the wrong topic. Did not change a bit, only getting the readiness problem. It worked one time and that might fix my toon.
But you did not use the toonrecovery script...

And to fix the readiness issue you need to disable the serial console using rasp config tool.
NLKris
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by NLKris »

Update: It worked very nice. I had no UTP connected so there was something not right.

My pi worked not great with me. But after used "$ Sudo su" I was able to install the root acces files. Then I had to update with "$ sudo apt full-upgrade".

Also usefull was "$ sudo apt install screen" and than in LXterminal "$ screen /dev/ttyS0 115200" (After the gateway was set up)

Clean install gave 29.9 MB free space.

These were the problems for me. I hope this post will help others to make the proces easy. ThehogNL, thank you for making this great program. Going to fix my normal Toon now. This was only a board (Screen cracked, doesnt work anymore)...

Great thanks!
NLKris
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by NLKris »

So trying to update the Toon. Could not open VPN:

sh /root/update-rooted.sh
===================================================================================================================================================================
Welcome to the rooted Toon upgrade script. This script will try to upgrade your Toon using your original connection with Eneco. It will start the VPN if necessary.
Please be advised that running this script is at your own risk!

Version: 4.05  - TheHogNL & TerrorSource & yjb - 2-11-2019

If you like the update script for rooted toons you can support me. Any donation is welcome and helps me developing the script even more.
https://paypal.me/pools/c/8bU3eQp1Jt

===================================================================================================================================================================

You are currently running version 5.0.6 on a qb2 with flavour uni

Available versions: 1.9.10 2.1.0 2.2.24 2.3.17 2.3.29 2.3.36 2.4.7 2.4.12 2.5.11 2.5.14 2.5.18 2.6.24 2.6.33 2.8.16 2.8.21 2.8.27 2.9.15 2.9.26 2.10.15 3.0.29 3.0.32 3.1.22 3.2.14 3.2.18 3.2.21 3.3.8 3.4.2 3.4.4 3.5.4 3.6.3 3.7.8 3.7.9 4.3.20 4.4.21 4.7.23 4.8.25 4.9.23 4.9.124 4.10.6 4.11.6 4.12.0 4.13.6 4.13.7 4.15.2 4.15.6 4.16.8 4.18.8 4.19.10 4.20.7 4.22.7 5.0.4 5.0.5 5.0.6 5.2.11 5.5.7 5.9.6 5.13.9 5.13.12 5.15.6

Which version do you want to upgrade to?
Alright, I will try to upgrade to 5.15.6
Now starting the VPN tunnel and waiting for it to be alive and configured...
Could not enable VPN in a normal reasonable time!
DEBUG information:
192.168.178.0/24 dev wlan0 scope link  src 192.168.178.14
default via 192.168.178.1 dev wlan0  metric 10
# <persistent /etc/hosts content can be added to /etc/hosts.template file>
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain           localhost              eneco-001-xxxxxx
172.23.80.1         feed.hae.int    feed
127.0.0.1    ping.quby.nl
END DEBUG information
Quitting the upgrade. It was a nice try tho...
killall: openvpn: no process killed
So I looked in the forum and found out about a certificate. /etc/openvpn/ is empty. Is there someone that shared this or is ther no way to update this tone now?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Did you forget the recovery menu option to backup your openvpn config (option 1)? Or did your forgot to restore it after recovery (option 4)? See https://github.com/ToonSoftwareCollecti ... y#recovery
NLKris
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by NLKris »

My bad. Just to fast. Did not made a backup. But I now done the other Toon. Its working all fine, also the back-up optie worked great. VPN is not a problem anymore.

I made a copy of the VPN files from an other toon. Is it a optie to copy paste it? Read on the forum that you only have to be carefull you wont connect VPN at the same time with the same certificate. If that workes than I've fixt everything thanks to the forum!!!

Return to “Toon Hardware”