What would be the easiest DIY multi-zone setup?

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

old_fart
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: What would be the easiest DIY multi-zone setup?

Post by old_fart »

I would like to also have a partially DIY multi-zone setup involving existing TRVs, floor heating, radiators, existing Zigbee temperature sensors per room, etc. Current automation is based on Home Assistant.

It was my understanding that lots of people already had that working before I started this. Was that a mistake?

Basically, my idea was to create some kind of virtual sensor that would provide information to some software thermostat (which one?) about whether the boiler should perform work.

Proprietary solutions are fine as long as they can use the existing devices (and actually work).
arvest
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by arvest »

I'm also looking to a solution to control the boiler based on my TRV, temp sensors, connected to Home Assistant. The only piece missing is the controller for the boiler that responds to a heat request from one of the TRV's based on the temp sensors..

It surprised me as well that it is so hard to find anything about open source / DIY solutions. I already have TRV's and temp sensors, so I would find it a shame to replace everything with something propriety, but I would also like to not be depended on a commercial platform / subscription fee / data in the cloud etc.

I thought the OTG would be thé missing piece, but apparently it is not so simple..
old_fart
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by old_fart »

I got my setup to work and by far the hardest part was to get the OTGW to work with the "OpenTherm" (it's not) boiler technology. For a new system, I would first verify with the vendor of the boiler that it works with OTGW before buying. Did you get your setup to work already? If so, which features does it have? (All of the features I described work in my setup and then some. )

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”