How to connect OTG to NodeMCU?

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

Lecram
Starting Member
Starting Member

How to connect OTG to NodeMCU?

Post by Lecram »

I have both NodeMCU and OTGW working seperately, but cannot connect the OTGW to NodeMCU. I used several combinations.
The NodeMCU has connected to Wifi, that works. It has an IP address
I can OT Monitor connect to OTGW through the COM port, that works.

But when I plug the NodeMCU on the OTW board and want to connect through OT monitor to the OTGW with wifi, I cannot get a connection.

What Remote Host address and Remote Port do I have to use? How can I can configure this?

Screenshot settings Nodemcu:
Attachments
OT monitor screenshot.png
OT monitor screenshot.png (113.34 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
NodeMCU screenshot.png
NodeMCU screenshot.png (37.08 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
hvxl

Re: How to connect OTG to NodeMCU?

Post by hvxl »

The ESP easy firmware is general purpose firmware. As a result it has lots of settings you have to get right to work correctly with the OTGW. This is why the OpenTherm Gateway Manual provided by the Nodo Shop suggests to use firmware that was created specifically for the OTGW: If you insist on using the ESP easy firmware, I think you selected the wrong setting for "Protocol". According to my notes, it should be "- Standalone -" if you're not using Domoticz.
Schelte
Lecram
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Lecram »

hvxl wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:34 am The ESP easy firmware is general purpose firmware. As a result it has lots of settings you have to get right to work correctly with the OTGW. This is why the OpenTherm Gateway Manual provided by the Nodo Shop suggests to use firmware that was created specifically for the OTGW: If you insist on using the ESP easy firmware, I think you selected the wrong setting for "Protocol". According to my notes, it should be "- Standalone -" if you're not using Domoticz.
It is not that I don't want to use other firmware, but I took the wrong manual and installed the firmware. I tried VD Breemen's method, but it does not work.

This is what he wrote:
"Now put your ESP board into flash mode. You do this by pressing the FLASH button, then press the RST button once, then release the FLASH button. Then the blue led should stay turned off."

I don't have a FLASH button on the NodeMCU, just a reset button. I also tried to erase the ESP Easy firmware, but I searched a lot, and tried a lot, and it failed again and again.

So how can I get rid of the ESP Easy firmware?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

So you have a Wemos D1 mini, not an actual NodeMCU? It doesn't really matter much, except that the Wemos D1 mini doesn't have a FLASH button to confuse you. On both devices you don't need it. The device can be put into flash mode via the USB interface, without any manual action. You should just be able to run the esptool command and it will load the new program, replacing the ESP easy firmware.

I have no experience with the GUI, as it is Windows only. If you can't get that method to work, I suggest to use the command line. I'm sure that works.
Schelte
Lecram
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Lecram »

hvxl wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:05 pm So you have a Wemos D1 mini, not an actual NodeMCU? It doesn't really matter much, except that the Wemos D1 mini doesn't have a FLASH button to confuse you. On both devices you don't need it. The device can be put into flash mode via the USB interface, without any manual action. You should just be able to run the esptool command and it will load the new program, replacing the ESP easy firmware.

I have no experience with the GUI, as it is Windows only. If you can't get that method to work, I suggest to use the command line. I'm sure that works.
Thank you.

What commend is needed to put it in flash mode?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

As I mentioned, the esptool command (the one shown in step 6).

But in the mean time, I have confirmed with Robert that you don't need to push the button with the GUI either. So, if just clicking the Start button on the GUI doesn't work to flash the Wemos D1 mini, you probably have a wrong setting. My money would be on the COM port.
Schelte
Lecram
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Lecram »

Meanwhile, I have it working with Easy ESP, thanks for your time
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Maybe you can reveal what change you needed to make to get it working. That may help the next person that runs into the same problem and finds this topic.
Schelte
Lecram
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Lecram »

I overlooked a part of the v7 manual about the easy esp settings in the wifi module. I entered the values that were mentioned in the manual and that worked.
I am a bit disappointed though as my heatpump shows only a little data. The heatpump was not on the list so nobody is to blame

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”