OT Thermostat that supports override setpoints etc.

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

fanagolo
Starting Member
Starting Member

OT Thermostat that supports override setpoints etc.

Post by fanagolo »

Hi all, I'm new to OT and OTGW and this is my first post here so please bear with me!

I was forced to replace my Worcester Bosch boiler which I had connected to Home Assistant and am now trying to do the same with the new Ideal Logic Max combi boiler and Ideal Halo Lite thermostat and OTGW. I'm thus new to OT and OTGW and am trying to learn - please do excuse any idiotic questions!

I have the Nodo Shop OTGW working - I have connected it in gateway mode and have used the HASS OpenTherm integration - it all seems to be working OK and I can turn heating on from HASS, for example.

I cannot change the setpoint displayed in the Ideal Halo Lite and from what I've read, this is not possible on that unit.

Can anyone recommend an OpenTherm thermostat that does support this, please?
hvxl

Re: OT Thermostat that supports override setpoints etc.

Post by hvxl »

I once started a topic to collect such information. It used to be a "sticky" topic, meaning it would stay on top of the list of topics. Unfortunately, I didn't get much input to update the information with new thermostats. So after several years without any updates, I removed the stickiness.

Sadly, most new thermostats don't implement remote override via the opentherm interface. If they do support remote control, it is usually via an app and/or through the cloud. So the thermostats listed as supporting remote override in the mentioned topic are probably still your best bet.
Schelte
fanagolo
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by fanagolo »

Thank you, Sir!

This is really useful. It's strange that the manufacturers have dropped such a useful feature.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

They probably prefer users to pay a monthly fee for their cloud service. :roll:
Schelte
fanagolo
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by fanagolo »

Probably - and to enable their data harvesting! Which is why I do it myself with HASS!

This led me on a journey of discovery and I now understand more about the IDs and that ultimately led to me ordering a Honeywell T87M2018

Thanks again!
fanagolo
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by fanagolo »

I can report that the Honeywell T87M2018 supports remote override.

The Ideal Logic Max combi 30 kW boiler, Nodo Shop gateway, HASS (Home Assistant) with the HASS OpenTherm integration and Honeywell T87M2018 work well together.

I have set up schedules and away detection etc. in HASS and the thermostat sets the boiler accordingly, modulates the boiler output well, and generally seems to work well together!

What a pity that the Ideal Halo Lite does not support remote override - it would have been nice to stick with Ideal kit but what can you do if the manufacturers choose to omit valuable features?
mcc05
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by mcc05 »

~Hi fanagolo

Got the same issue as you regarding Ideal Max boiler and Halo Lite thermostat, wrote to Ideal to ask if there was a firmware upgrade to the Halo lite that supported MSG9, radio silence so far.
fanagolo
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by fanagolo »

It would be great if they do reply - but if they don't, I did solve this with the Honeywell T87M2018. You lose the schedules on the thermostat but the other functions are at least as good as the Ideal functions so it's no big deal and the T87M2018 cost less than 1/2 the price of the Halo Lite!

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”