Extremely sensitive receiver

Forum about Rfxcom home automation Domotica devices.

Moderator: b_weijenberg

Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

Yesterday i received the rxcomm receiver (433.92MHz Slave Receiver for X10 RF, X10 security, NEC codes and RAW) touching the antenna connector results in never ending stream of information. I tried various places in the house but the result is the same. Obviously this will interfere with 'real' devices. Question is this normal behaviour, or do i have a faulty over sensitive receiver.

Willem.
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

It is normal that data is received due to RF noise. This kind of data is (must be) filtered by the sw application. If the data stream is continously then check if other RF equipment for example a wireless headphone is transmitting at 433.92MHz. The purpose for RAW mode is to analyze RF packets and this mode will always produce a lot of data.

Use the RFreceiver program and send an email with the data received in variable length mode to rfxcom support and they will help you analyzing.

Bert
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

HI Bert,

Thanks for the reply, it is almost continously. There is only some wireless temperature sensors around the house, nothing else.

Willem.
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

Wireless temperature sensors transmit very often! I've sent you an email with request to send me a dump of the received data.

Bert
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

Bert,

Haven't seen any email(s) from you sofar .... my email address is my name as shown in the forum at yahoo dot co dot uk. Drop an email and i will reply back to you.

BTW: I ordered a Visonic 868 Mhz slave receiver, reading the forum and googling it appears this frequency works (a lot) better inhouse. Let's see, when i collect some proof-of-concept stuff after the weekend.

Cheers,
Willem.
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

Willem,

I've sent you an email.
The Visonic sensors have a larger RF output and the receiver does a parity check. Those two parameters result in a better performance and only valid packets are transferred to the PC.

regards, Bert
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

As of yesterday the noise mysteriously disappeared and all systems are go. I'm receiving X10 and Visonic devices without any pain on the RFXCOM receiver. Work is now in progress to get the little box to interface with HomeDaemon. Special thanks to Bert for answering all my questions.

Return to “Rfxcom Receivers & Transmitters Forum”