Dome PTZ camera's on E-bay

Forum All about Webcams, IP Camera's & Camera's (hardware, software, pan tilt zoom etc).

Moderator: Esteban

Jfn

Post by Jfn »

While surfing Ebay looking for all sorts of things I came across this PTZ camera: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0319426430

Camera's like this are being offered by several vendors, some even include a remote control keypad.

Does anyone have any experience with these things? The price is interesting enough. Do they offer quality video? Are they 100% waterproof? Or is it WYPFIIWYG-quality (What You Pay For It Is What You Get).

The price to get one over here to Europe is too expensive just to do some experimenting, so I am looking for people that have hands-on experience with these things.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

That's not expensive. An outdoor house alone is more expensive. From the other hand, the camera uses a very good Sony Super HAD CCD, but for security an ExView HAD is better. And the sensor may be good, but the rest of the camera may be cr*p. Make sure it's a continuous rotation camera, that doesn't stop after 360 degrees. And nobody uses stepper-motors for this purpose anymore; In modern cameras it's all servo motors.

And from China it usually is WYPFIIWYG, indeed. I use American Dynamics (before: Sensormatic) SpeedDome Ultra VII D&N cameras. Those are designed for severe usage and build to last. Metal gears doesn't mean anything but a lot of noisy when they're moving. If you wear out nylon gears, you'll have had a lot of other problems first.

I've bought a lof of this stuff and I'll be happy to help you out.
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

look good..
It's worth to try.
I'm also interested..maybe we can share the shipment..that will be +/- $50
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

I'm pretty sure you will not be able to share shipment. Chinese sellers usually offer their goods cheaply, to compensate this on the shipment charge. And because this charge is part of price they're not likely to combine shipment for a lower price.
Jfn

Post by Jfn »

What is a lot of noise? A possible location would be 6 meters above ground-level, on the corner of a house. I doubt you will hear it turning when you are at ground-level.

The camera's you mention will probably be much more expensive, even when second-hand.

If such a cheap camera breaks down within 2 years, either because of a mechanical failure or because of vandalism (footballs, stones, whatever), the loss is relatively minor.

You mention that the Sony Super HAD CCD is good, but an ExView HAD is better. How much better is 'better'?
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

In that case you will not hear anything. Mine are located inside, all around the house and hence they must be silence.

You should be able to get a used SpeedDome Ultra VII for $450 on ebay. Those are usually NTSC types without D&N option, but it's professional quality that will work maintenance free, for years on a row. I upgrade mine with a new Hitachi camera block to PAL versions with D&N option. This is basically a mechanically retractable IR-Cut filter that is required under day light conditions for proper colors, but during the night it's an extra loss you can gladly miss. With long exposure this camera will see a lot better in the dark than the adjusted human eye.

From the other hand, for that price (that seems to include shipping) you can barely go wrong. A used SpeedDome with outdoor housing will cost around $800. This camera is less than a third of that, and it's new so I suppose it's worth a shot. Pelco-D and Pelco -P are commonly used protocols, widely supported by video servers. RS-485 signalling is not so easy, but better over long distances, so all together it doesn't look bad.

ExView HAD sensors don't suffer from 'blooming': On a regular sensor a bright object will cause a white vertical stripe to appear that makes half of the picture useless. But well, for that price you can't have everything...
Sooty

Post by Sooty »

Today, I have just finished installing 3 new (Non-Branded) CCTV camera's. 2 PTZ's and a fixed dome.

As far as the branded high end products go, I understand that they are designed for long term reliability and should provide many years of trouble free service, but they come with a price tag to match. In a monitored shopping centre or a high street where the motors are in constant use, then I can see the benefit of the higher quality moving parts, but for my application at home where they will not be constantly moved, I could not justify the expense of high end products.

I purchased from a UK supplier, so I got next day delivery and no nasty import tax or VAT surprises to bother about and a point of contact if there are any problems.

Once I get everything running properly, I will post some images on the other thread here.

I have had a low-cost imported PTZ for about 3 years and it still works OK, but it does not support presets, hence the upgrade.

The fixed dome is a near copy of a Samsung SVD-4600 specification wise. The low light performance is absolutely brilliant. I have it mounted in my small front porch, so the wide-angle lens was one of the reasons for choosing this model. The build quality actually looks and feels really good and it looks like it will last a few years. Cost was 160 UK pounds.

The PTZs are 540TVL Day/Night with full 360 degree endless panning, auto flip, multi protocol, 27X optical / 10X digital zoom, fan, heater etc Again these seem to be very well made (far better quality than my old model) and look like they should last a few years. I have one on each opposing corner of the house so I can pretty much see the whole garden and all the doors and windows of the house. Low light performance is good, but no where near as good as the fixed dome. Cost was just under 500 pounds each, complete with heavy duty corner wall mount brackets.

I do have a small problem with the RS485 communication on one of the PTZs. I think, with a little help from someone a bit more knowledgeable on the subject than me, we have established that one of the RS485 connections on this camera is grounding somewhere. I know its not in the cabling, so it may be inside the camera electronics. I am running these cameras on an Axis 241Q and if I connect the video of this camera to the Axis, then the PTZ on this camera stops responding. If the video is connected to another monitor, then everything works fine for both cameras. The dealer has said that he will test and replace the unit if it is faulty, so Im not too worried about that.

Anyway, other than the RS485 issue, I am quite impressed with the quality of the images and the units themselves. I have only had them a few days, so I suppose only time will tell if the inner workings will disintegrate after a few months.

Paul..
Jfn

Post by Jfn »

@Sooty: Does your supplier have a website?

Searching Google I found a UK supplier (http://www.tsionline.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CD114) who sells a non-PTZ dome camera with a Sony EX-Had sensor, ICR, at just over 200 pounds (incl VAT). Would be a perfect solution for a camera near the front door.
Sooty

Post by Sooty »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jfn</i>
<br />@Sooty: Does your supplier have a website?

Searching Google I found a UK supplier (http://www.tsionline.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CD114) who sells a non-PTZ dome camera with a Sony EX-Had sensor, ICR, at just over 200 pounds (incl VAT). Would be a perfect solution for a camera near the front door.
Jfn

Post by Jfn »

@Sooty: PM send

I am looking at installing at least 2 fixed dome-camera's in the near future (near the front door / and one at the back of the house. and on a sidewall.

While investigating CCTV camera's I also did some research on camera's and privacy (more specifically legislation on this matter here in The Netherlands).

An excellent article (dutch only) on CCTV camera's and privacy can be found here: http://www.iusmentis.com/maatschappij/p ... atoezicht/. In short, as long as people can be recognized, mounting a CCTV camera that overviews public space is prohibited.

In my case: Mounting a camera near the front-door poses a problem. My house is located at the corner of a small T-junction. One way or the other, I will be filming not only my front-door, but also the junction and thus any people passing by.

At the back-door I do not have a problem as the back-garden is surrounded by high-walls. I can mount the camera in such a way that I am only overseeing my own property. To legally operate this camera I do need to put up a sign near the back-porch stating CCTV surveillance is in operation.

As an alternative, mounting a PTZ dome-camera 6 meters above ground-level overseeing the entire area will certainly attract attention.

Taking the above matter into account, mounting CCTV camera's outside my house will probably result in legal action from local authorities.
Sooty

Post by Sooty »

I don't know about the law in NL, but unless things have changed recently, here in the UK, the use of CCTV is covered by the data protection act, but only relates to its use in a business environment.

For use in a domestic environment, this legislation does not apply. This does not mean that you can record people in a public place or your neighbours activity etc because this could be an infringement of human rights or some other legislation.

Basically, keep any recorded data within your boundary.

Whilst some of my cameras can be moved to view other peoples properties and/or public places, I do not record any data from these locations. I only record data within my boundary.

I have had comments from neighbours, but mostly about the visibility (eyesore) of the cameras. There is nothing they can do about this, but to show a little respect, I have re-painted the cameras to blend in better with the house. From 30 metres+, you really dont notice them now and the neighbours are much happier.

One of my neighbours (an old lady living on her own) actually said she feels much safer knowing they are there.

In most cases, it should be possible to mask an area from view so as not to infringe on someones privacy.

Paul..

Return to “Webcams & Camera Stuff Forum”