Alternatives to the Xanura modules?

Forum about Xanura, Eaton Holec and Marmitek and other brand X10 and A10 devices.
jakkes

Post by jakkes »

When you google on the productname....:
http://www.mabnagroup.com/upload/p_95.pdf

At least its in English
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

Those Chinese modules are probably one-way modules, most of us here like to you two-way modules: For a doubtful reliable protocol as X10 this extra security is desirable.

But more importantly; If the modules are not tested (and approved) by your national version of TUV, Kema, etc, your fire insurance may not cover your damage is fire breaks out, regardless of the cause. The accuracy of determining the cause of a fire is usually no better than guessing and if strange electrical equipment - hard wired to your installation - is find close to where the fire started (and if you have automatic your whole house, there always is one close) it the defacto cause of the fire...
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

@MindBender: Marunga said earlier "These micro-modules are 2way, you can get the their status"

Alexander
Aurelia
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Aurelia »

@MindBender: I see a CE mark on the modules so they must have been tested officially.
marunga
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by marunga »

Hi,

@jakkes, here you can find some the manuals in engrish ;-)
http://www.taiyito.com/english/DownList.asp

and their web page as also an English version (sort of).

Regarding the reliability of the modules, almost two years without a flaw and the modules don't turn on/off by themselves. I use the remote and all the lamp modules, are also controlled by wall switchs (had to redo the wiring so I could use double modules). So far, so good.

The first X10 micro-modules I've used where these:
Micromodules/Actuators/S2268M
Didn't like them. Only 1-way, and the assembly looked bad (package, internal PCB and soldering), and I did get some lights turning on by themselves.

After that, I started looking for an alternative, and have found those Taiyito 2-way (also Xanura, almost 7x the price). Of course, it was a risk, buying directly from the manufacturer, but all went well. The communication with them was good, and the modules are good.

I don't know if you can get these in Europe.

regards,
m
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Aurelia</i>
<br />@MindBender: I see a CE mark on the modules so they must have been tested officially.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">No; The CE mark only means that the manufacturer has signed a letter of conformity to CE regulations, nothing more. In contrary to the American FCC mark, the CE mark doesn't require any testing whatsoever.

A decent manufacturer will have his products tested extensively before he declares it to be conform CE regulations but this is very expensive. As a result many Asian manufacturers just stick a CE label on their products by defaults. And if anyone ever requests a copy of their letter of conformity, they will either ignore the request, make one up for the occasion or supply it if they have it. But even if you receive a copy, you still need to use it to claim you damage on this Asian company; Good luck!
joaquindeprada
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by joaquindeprada »

@Marunga,
I find the Taiyito modules quite amazing, and price is very good. I have a few questions though. First since there are quite a few appliance modules TDXE4404(2 appliances) 4403 4402 4203 (1500w) 4202(2200w) I wonder if you know the difference. Also I would like to know the size of the modules (specially how "thick" they are) and if you find them noisy or not. Since price is almost the same for all units it is no factor when choosing the modules.

I have contacted them and plan on buying a few modules from them!

Regards from Spain!
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

I also contacted them and minimum order quantity is 500 Euro.

Rene.
marunga
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by marunga »

Hi,

The modules are square (46x46mm) and are 23mm deep. The plastic they are made of is 2mm thick and looks and feels solid and well built. It takes a little effort to put them inside the wall boxes. Also, since you have cables coming out of the module, you have to account for space for the connector boxes. I've managed to put them behind wall switches and inside derivation boxes on the walls.
About the noise, very little. Of course you ear a small click when there's no ambient noise, but in normal conditions, I don't notice them.

I have the modules for 2 appliances (4404, you can control two lamps/appliances with one module) and 1 appliance module (4202 higher power appliance, 16A relay) and the dimming module (only one lamp).

regards,
m
joaquindeprada
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by joaquindeprada »

Thank you for your quick reply! I asume that there is "local" control for a standard switch.
I am trying to purchase samples from them. Alternatively I propose a powerbuy to meet the MOQ. A cost of course...
Erwin
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Alternatives to the Xanura modules?

Post by Erwin »

What about plcbus?
RdP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RdP »

Rene wrote:I also contacted them and minimum order quantity is 500 Euro.
These modules are being sold on "marktplaats", for about 25 euro.... (search for X10)
I will buy a couple of them to see what they are like...

/RdP
Rien
gvdham

Post by gvdham »

I'm already using them. I didn't see any disadvantages until I received my marmitek modules.
With the last one u can insert the existing wiring in the module. The other ones already have wiring and u have to find a way of connecting them to the existing wiring. Not so difficult, but very space consuming in an already very small space.
RdP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RdP »

gvdham wrote:I'm already using them. I didn't see any disadvantages until I received my marmitek modules.
With the last one u can insert the existing wiring in the module. The other ones already have wiring and u have to find a way of connecting them to the existing wiring. Not so difficult, but very space consuming in an already very small space.
I do not completely understand you here.

can you be more specific here. What do you mean by the other ones and the last ones. And are you using them with HS ??

Thanks,
Rien
Rien
evja78

Post by evja78 »

And the key question (that would put them above the S10 stuff), do they send an updated status over the powerline if you use the local button ?

I have a couple of the S10 ones (elekhomica) and the fact that the local switch does not update the status and that they are not 2 way is messing things up in my system.

Thanks,

Evja

Return to “X10, A10 Xanura Marmitek Forum”