JooJoo - nice but closed system?

Forum about all kind of Touchpanels & Displays.
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

Hi,

Estimated price: $499

The JooJoo Web slate is based around a 12.1-inch diagonal 720p capacitive touch screen. The specs include: 1366x768-pixel resolution, a built-in camera, mic, and speakers, one USB port, and a card slot. There's 4GB of cache memory.

The hardware is slim and pleasing to hold. The screen is gorgeous, and huge, and the plastic back is gently curved. The unit is very slim, thinner than a MacBook Air. There are no buttons on the device, save the single power switch.

The JooJoo runs a proprietary Linux-based operating system whose only purpose is to run the device's browser, based on Webkit but again a custom job by the developer. The browser supports Flash and other standard HTML extensions, but it won't run non-Web apps. No Skype for you.

Orderable starting Friday on: https://thejoojoo.com/

Video:

For Home Automation: Browser based which is not fast, no real-time updates (?) and requires a lot of skills to make it look good. It does support flash but we don't have an easy way to make great GUI's using flash and HomeSeer. IF it only would run some kind of XP ;-)
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

My touch screen interface is browser based, fast and near realtime (within a second). So what is the problem? This device was mentioned previously on the forum, see http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3112

Rene.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

rene: but i think you build your own interface, for people that dont have a lot of development/web/whatever experience, hstouch is a nice sollution.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

That is right, I agree. But the statement was a browser interface is not fast and does not support real time updates.

Rene.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Well, domotiga also has a web interface which is fast with realtime updates.. works fine too. So your right about web interfaces being fast too, if you get google chrom with the browser, i bet its bloody fast.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Noel

Re: JooJoo - nice but closed system?

Post by Noel »

I'm thinking of getting a JooJoo from https://thejoojoo.com/ on my next trip over to the US, and make somekind of flash interface that communicates with HomeSeer.

Anyone here who might know of a flash example working with HomeSeer?
--
Maak nu je eigen video bericht online.
Anyone interested in time travel meet me here last Thursday!!
ıɟ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ buıɥʇʎuɐ ʇɹɐʇs ɹǝʌǝu
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: JooJoo - nice but closed system?

Post by Rene »

Be sure to read this review first. The WePAD seems to be more promising.
Rene.

Return to “Touchpanels, Displays & UMPC devices.”