Beginner

Forum about Domotica Home Automation for dummies, is only for the real beginner questions.

Moderator: TANE

lieuwke
Starting Member
Starting Member

Beginner

Post by lieuwke »

Hello everybody,

like to introduce myself here. My name is Martin and i like to start with home automation. I have a background in electronics and currently working as a computer network engineer. But domotica is a whole new area for me. In the past i have allready played around with X10, but i never enrolled in the whole house.

Next couple of months im going to rebuild my kitchen and think this would be a nice starting point for using domotica. With what i´ve seen allready i think z-wave will be my best choice. I like the possibility to expand the system in a modular way very much and starting with the kitchen lights and expand from there in time. This is where my qeustions come in:

I want to set things up in an easy way and don''t want to tweak things too much for getting them to work.
Is a vera2 gateway a good choice when i want to be able to control things over the internet and with an iPad in the near future?

I want to use buttons that can be fitted in a frame with poweroutlets (3 or 4 position in a row) that look like ordinary switches, wich brand and model would be best?

Is it possible to set different light combinations with one button? eg: 1 push lamp 1,2,3 on, 2 push only lamp 2 on, push 3 lamp 2 and 3 lit for example?

Thanks for your answers
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Beginner

Post by TANE »

Hi Martin,

Welcom to this forum.

Vera is a good choice in Q1 of 2012 Vera 3 will be also available. Check this before you go for Vera 2.

For the wall switch you have the choice:
- Duwi (Everlux, Trend, BJ...etc) Price 30-60 euro
- Fibaro (you can use any switch you want) 60 euro + switch
- Merten price 150-190 euro

For zwave there is no need for any tweak..all will work also without the Vera

In the next moths there will be some new Control Centres like Vera.
The biggest challenge for them is the experiences to build a solid box.
Enver Tanriverdi | http://blog.tane.nl
lieuwke
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Beginner

Post by lieuwke »

Hi Tane,

i see the Vera3 is about € 100,00 more expensive. What benefits would i have going for the Vera3?

The kitchen is going to be my main priority, so the gateway may come afterwards. I suppose it is no problem to use zwave switches and buttons and use it like a normal switch or dimmer and add everything to a gateway later?

Return to “Domotica for Dummies Forum”