Measure DC current (12 Volt)

All about Arduino, Jeenode and other Clones (hardware & Software)

Moderator: Mdamen

jakkes

Measure DC current (12 Volt)

Post by jakkes »

I recently (last weekend) replaced my HP Microserver by a self-build Intel I5 processor server running ESX. The server is powered by PicoPSU powersuply running on a 12 V DC power adapter.
When i open the utility room (meterkast) i find a bunch of poweradapters:
- Solcon fibre modem
- Fritzbox router
- USB hub
- Netgear switch
- RFXcom transciever

And now the new server.
A few of the devices are measured by a Plugwise plug.

Now i am considering building a 12 V powerdistribution with a batterybackup (a normal car battery maybe???) and measure al the devices with a arduino (clone)
I guess i have to use (little?) shunts and measure the voltage drop over the shunt.
I would like to see the measured values in a simple html page, from where i can grab the values and put them in Emoncms.

Any things i have to look at?
AshaiRey

Re: Measure DC current (12 Volt)

Post by AshaiRey »

A relay. That's the only item you need to make the batterybackup work.
Bram
jakkes

Post by jakkes »

Ondertussen iets verder laten broeden....:
Ik heb een tekeningetje gemaakt:
De ACS714 heb ik hier vandaan: hacktronics.com/Tutorials/arduino-curre ... ensor.html
Aangezien ik (voor nu....) 5 sources wil kunnen meten (A),en 2 spanningen dien ik een arduino te hebben met minimaal 7 analoge inputs...
Een jeenode zal dan wel afvallen. Mijn voorkeur gaat dan uit voor een arduino (clone??) welke middels ethernet aangesloten kan worden.
Wellicht dat er nog meer dingen op aangesloten gaan worden, wellicht dat ik dan voor een mega met ethernet shield ga.
Tot op heden geen ervaring met een ethernet shield, maar dat zal denk ik wel lukken.. Voor het mooie dienen de waarden (Stroom en spanning) uitleesbaar moeten zijn door EMONCMS.

Weer verder broeden dus....
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

jakkes, this part of the forum is English.

I'd think you only need a single analog in. Is it really that time critical to measure them all at the same time?
All you need is to find a way to connect a number of different inputs to that single analog-in port.

Similar to the way you can have more digital outs by using a 74HC595 (just an example..)
I'm sure there's a way to do something similar with analog in. But don't ask me how... :wink:

PS, found something you could use:
http://miscellanea.com/how-to-get-more- ... og-inputs/
Last edited by Digit on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link

Return to “Raspberry, Arduino, Cubietruck and other clones Forum”