plugwise design, but through wifi PlugAway

On this Forum we can discuss interesting Kickstarter like smartthings and gadgets
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: plugwise design, but through wifi PlugAway

Post by Willem4ever »

Yeah, I backed it as well ...
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

Wow! This looks nice!

Will probably order a best-of-both pack first. If that works as expected I'll probably want 20 smart leds and 20 plugs..

Q:The smart led: what is the color temperature?

With these specs I'm also wondering why only $80k AUD has been pledged?
(Especially if you look at Lifx which pledged $1.3M USD)

DJ
ericplan
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ericplan »

They have added a four plug powerstrip to the project. More information on Kickstarter.
--
Eric
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Still 29k to go for the plugaway powerstrip, but that will be reached,
Nice addition, it has a tempsensor too
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Guys as the plugaway powerstrip is still under development (consideration) we could try to help by giving them our help and wishes.
This could help getting a product which is a real good addition.

I need to check further but but for now it would be great that:
- beside the tempsensor there would be a humidity sensor. Also we need to think about the accuracy regarding these sensors because of the possible heat coming of the electronics. option would be that sensors are can be connected via a cable, this way you can also monitor devices which should not be overheated (like computers, aquariums, heating Hvac etc)
- usb ports for loading you smart phones couls be an option but not prio for me
-powerconsumption idle should be very low
- each single outlet on the powerstrip should give the energy usage
- option to push the status upon change, for example if the powerusage of an outlet is changed (setting) the status of the outlet is pushed (example: IP noticfication) this way its very handy to use in existing hoemautomation settings. This would also be a very good options for the regular plug.
plugaway powerstrip
plugaway powerstrip
plugaway.jpg (32.12 KiB) Viewed 19324 times
kickstarter.com/projects/plugaway/pluga ... mart-phone
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

update form Plugaway regarding the powerstrip

Power strip pledges to be stopped

We introduced the power strip idea in order to include you within our design process and gain feedback from the start of development. The feedback that we have received has been incredibly favourable of our decision to do this and many people within our backer community have been sharing ideas and design drawings.

Whilst Kickstarter values our creative efforts to include our backer community within our design process, they feel that it is better to continue this uniquely inclusive development process without offering a power strip pledge level during this particular Kickstarter campaign, but rather use the feedback gathered here to deliver a new campaign focused on the power strip itself. We expect their change to take effect by 12:38 (EST) today.

Whether we'll develop a new campaign after this, or seek to provide pre-orders via a website such as www.backerkit.com (currently only in a beta-stage with Australia) is still yet to be determined.

Even though we will stop offering the power strip pledge levels, we will still be developing the strip. This means that your comments, suggestions and design ideas remain highly valued to us…we introduced the power strip to hear from you, and so we’ll continue listening and including you
wwolkers

Post by wwolkers »

I pledged also, looks like a very nice product!

I pledged for 10 plugs, and just added up the total, including international shipping.
roheve
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by roheve »

Interresant. But looks like it will be an IPv4 only device, as they mentin a 252 device limit. But Ok, maybe it is too early for IPv6 (and wil that consule too much memory on the device).
About the cloiudserver. The tell you can switche it off, but can soiu switcue it on to your own server too? I suppose that would be technically possible, but are the going to offer that option? (And thr protocols API nessesary to build one). They write tha the API will be open. Will the protocols be open too?

I still worry about the proposed design lifetime of only 5 years. The laptop I am typing this, was build in 2006 and still working fine (except for the battery), that is now nearly 8 years ago, and i have older 'electric' things, stil working fine...

OK, thils a few days to go... :)
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

DJF3 wrote:Wow! This looks nice!

Q:The smart led: what is the color temperature?

DJ
UPDATE from Plugaway: ..."The bulbs certification (prior to going smart) classes it as 2700-2900k"...
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

update from PlugAway:
Forward focus on integration
As you can see, we've taken our foot off of the Kickstarter throttle and are now concentrating on the future. We've had quite a few requests about our plans to cooperate with other projects and systems. Without going into details; we've been approached by quite a range of home automation solution companies and are already exploring cooperation with a few of them. Though once we're ready to open our app API, we'll be able to cooperate with many more at a much quicker speed. Including companies that have approached us, our list currently includes 19 potential systems: including past Kickstarter projects such as SmartThings, IVEE, and Wigwag.

We're looking at both forwards and reverse integration, meaning that we're willing to both integrate other devices into our system and make our devices compatible with others.

We're now in the middle of the festive season and are sure that you're busy with final preparations before the big day. So, rather than make you read an essay, we'll update you with more later. Wishing you all a chillaxed (chilled and relaxed) Christmas and New Year

Best regards,
John & the Plugaway Team
roheve
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: plugwise design, but through wifi

Post by roheve »

nawikre wrote:After a firm meeting we have made the decision to put in an option that makes it possible to disable the use of the cloud. So as default it is set to use the cloud and we will be adding the option to NOT use the cloud.
[...]
Iwan
Would it be possible to substitute the cloud url with your own (internal) webservice url? And would that webservice api be open?
PietjeNL

Post by PietjeNL »

Hope they get the certification in order, also the electrical ones like KEMA.
nawikre

Post by nawikre »

hi there, i have been very busy and did not had the time to look here.

@Roheve
there will be an api so it can run/connect to your local server. software development is on shedule.

@PietjeNL
it wil be incl CE, FCC and UL certification so no problem there.

they are behind on shedule with the hardware part....so keep looking on the update page of the kickstarter page...
greetz,

Iwan
PietjeNL

Post by PietjeNL »

Make it better then the Fibaro Wall Plug, found a report online with not so well findings: http://www.scribd.com/doc/194512106/Fib ... ity-Report
theeuwke
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by theeuwke »

today a new variant became available of the Broadlink SP1, the SP2 that added energy monitoring.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/03/04/ ... n-sensing/

Return to “Kickstarter, Indiegogo and other crowdfunding related smartthings”