CTX35 and tsu/rfx 9600

Forum about Xanura, Eaton Holec and Marmitek and other brand X10 and A10 devices.
Jeffke
Starting Member
Starting Member

CTX35 and tsu/rfx 9600

Post by Jeffke »

Hi

I'm looking for an rs232 interface which I can connect to the RFX9600 directly to control X10 devices.
According to the specs, the CTX uses standard ASCII but reading several posts it seems that it is difficult to programm, so I wonder if it would work in combination with the pronto.
Any Ideas?
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

CTX35 and tsu/rfx 9600

Post by Snelvuur »

just use homeseer + pronto plugin.. then you can use your pronto to control x10 or other things from the remote, same idea no?

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Jeffke
Starting Member
Starting Member

CTX35 and tsu/rfx 9600

Post by Jeffke »

Nope, I don't want to use a PC with additional software running on it. This would be the easiest way but to leave a system running for 24/7 just to control some appliances is not something I have in mind. My goal is to have a system that is lean and mean without'unnecessary' hard and/or software (however define unnecessary :-) )
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

CTX35 and tsu/rfx 9600

Post by Snelvuur »

Maybe you could do it with the rfx, but you need to write your own javascript handling + checking on the pronto which would be *very* complex. Wifi would be always on, otherwise updates are not relayed, button changes wont change unless its on.. you can do it udp style maybe, sending out a request via rs232 to the ctx hoping that it will turn on the appliance. Making the feedback + checkings in it is the hard part.

I would at least start with checking the pronto site, getting some of those modules that work with the rfx on rs232 and see what the possibilities are..

// Erik (binkey.nl)
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

CTX35 and tsu/rfx 9600

Post by TANE »

Rfx9600 is not the cheapest solution. This device cost about 600 euro and will also consume lot power.

why do so complex if you can use the IRIX35 directly from the Pronto
Jeffke
Starting Member
Starting Member

CTX35 and tsu/rfx 9600

Post by Jeffke »

One of the reasons for the question is, that I also want to 'play' with it, see if I can get it to work, just for fun, But if someone told me that the RFX and CTX are no match at all I would not spend the money and look for other alternatives. I already own the rfx9600 to control my receiver (RS232) and I still have some free ports left :-) The RFX does not consume that much and as I said it is already running.
I've checked the IRIX35 and it has some potential, The only downside is that you can't have two way control.

Maybe I should start looking for a Mini PC which consumes less power then my HTPC and leave that running 24/7
I already wrote a .net application that communicates to the pronto which I could extend for any future use.
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

CTX35 and tsu/rfx 9600

Post by TANE »

Check the new Homeseer PC
power consumption less then 10 watt.
http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1241

Or go for a UMPC
I have the HTC shift power consumption is also very low

For homeseer/pronto there are few good alternatives

Return to “X10, A10 Xanura Marmitek Forum”