Why are euro z wave products so damn ugly?

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
markb
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by markb »

I'm seriously thinking of installing a z wave system in my home, but the one thing that puts me off is the complete lack of stylish switches and dimmers. I've done a load of research, and found about 5 companies that make 230v switches, but why oh why do they all look the same? A large ugly paddle, in an ugly frame made of cheap plastic, (or in Merten's case exactly the same design but made of slightly more expensive plastic). Is it just coincidence? or is ugliness part of zensys's spec for euro products?

I've considered buying modules and adapting quality push button switches from forbes and lomax, which will cost a fortune - around 160 for a 2 gang control.

Z wave won't take off in Europe until manufacturers pay for decent industrial design. Marks for effort go to Qees's offer, but again what's the fascination with large paddles? I suspect the arrived at those designs through a student competition, they scream 'designed' but wouldn't fit in to any interior I'd want to live in.

It shouldn't even take any effort, just rip off, (i mean take inspiration from any of these):

www.rakocontrols.com - that's one pretty switch
www.forbesandlomax.co.uk
http://www.basalte.be/

Please, can someone point me towards an attractive Euro switch?
maartenvt
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by maartenvt »

I completely agree. why is it that they cannot make good looking switches (i know it taste) but i cannot imagen somebody likes the EU product styles.
pinx
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Why are euro z wave products so damn ugly?

Post by pinx »

I think Düwi makes some nice switches. There's a whole range of colours to pick from, both for the paddle and the frame.
Check http://www.home4u-store.com/schalterpro ... 9_676.html
for the cheapest price I have been able to find.
maartenvt
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Why are euro z wave products so damn ugly?

Post by maartenvt »

I contacted Laviton. They are not planning to make products for the EU market

:?

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”