noisy AW12

Forum about Xanura, Eaton Holec and Marmitek and other brand X10 and A10 devices.
fje
Starting Member
Starting Member

noisy AW12

Post by fje »

I tried to control some lights using LW12 module, but I had to change it because that module is not able to go directly to 100%ON/OFF, it goes smoothly from 0 to 100 or viceversa and this is something we don't like.

So, I changed LW12 for AW12, it works ON/OFF ok (and not dimming, what we don't need/want), but is really very noisy.

Someone suggested to me the equivalent Xanura stuff, which is less noisy (not sure reading the Xanura sub-forum) and bidirectional (good !), but it is much more expensive (twice the price [:(!], too much for a 6 modules installation)

Then I feel I'll have to stay with the AW12. Question then is: Does anyone experimented in "wrapping" the AW12 micromodule with any kind of material that, not doing it "giant" it would alleviate the noise the relay produces?

Thanks for any suggestion !
Paul H te O

noisy AW12

Post by Paul H te O »

Hello, If you use a LW12 micro module and Homeseer you can put a lamp directly 100% On or Off.
You have to choose LEVITON HCM06 module and with the following event Bright 100% , Dim Absolute.

Regards Paul H.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

noisy AW12

Post by MindBender »

Xanura dimmer modules too go from 0% to 100% smoothly and vice-versa. I like it from a cosmetic point of view and as a side effect lamps last longer, but it is a bit slow; Sometimes I'm already at the other side of the room before the lights are at 100%. And sometimes it's a bit confusing; I see my girlfriend pushing the button a number of times, not knowing whether the lights are switching on or off.

Marmitek modules seem to be a lot noisier. It can be a coincident, but my AWM2 is a noisy as a loud cricket at a warm summers evening, completely useless in a living room environment. Even though it seems to be identical to a Xanura DAIX10, the Xanura modules are almost completely silent, but I only have two Marmitek modules so my experience doesn't carry much statistical value.

I wouldn't wrap the modules up for isolation. Acoustic insulation is usually also thermal insulation and the units do produce some heat, especially when dimming at about 50%. I have tried it, but I found the units heat up beyond I what I trusted them with.

Good luck!
fje
Starting Member
Starting Member

noisy AW12

Post by fje »

Paul, thanks, today I have ActiveHomePro, I'll try to have a look to Homeseer, do you know if it also works with the CM15 module from Marmitek (that I already have)?

MindBender, I understand what you says and you are totally right, but this shouldn't be a problem with the AW12 that uses a relay and should suffer of a very low heating I suppose. That is the reason I was looking for some kind of acoustic insulation.

Xanura are (yet?) too expensive (twice) for me given the number of modules I need.

Rgds
Javier
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

noisy AW12

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fje</i>
<br />I understand what you says and you are totally right, but this shouldn't be a problem with the AW12 that uses a relay and should suffer of a very low heating I suppose. That is the reason I was looking for some kind of acoustic insulation.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I don't know how much heat is disapated by the rest of the cirquitery, but if you really want to know I suppose you can easily test it by wrapping the unit up in glass wool and stick a thermometer inside... Please post your findings if you do [;)]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Xanura are (yet?) too expensive (twice) for me given the number of modules I need.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Not if you compare equivalent devices:
Xanura DAIX10: 95,00
Marmitek LWM1: 94,95 (source: http://www.waakzaamwonen.nl)
The LW12 module may be half that price, but it's also half the module with half the functionality...
fje
Starting Member
Starting Member

noisy AW12

Post by fje »

MindBender:

I'll try to do the heating test and will come back with results if I'm able to do it.

regarding prices, the comparation I do is AW12 vs SAX1, similar functionality, both control only 1 address, SAX1 doesn't admit switch, only add-on of SAX1 if status back info.

AW12: 42euros, SAX1: 84euros. This is the reason I feel too much price difference (twice) for the functionality difference....

Rgds
fje
Starting Member
Starting Member

noisy AW12

Post by fje »

"Paul, thanks, today I have ActiveHomePro, I'll try to have a look to Homeseer, do you know if it also works with the CM15 module from Marmitek (that I already have)?"

I answer myself. From the HomeSeer web page about what HomeSeer supports:

"At this time, the SDK for the CM15a X-10 computer interface only provides programming instructions for three (3) X-10 commands (ON / OFF / DIM). Other equally important commands (like PRE-SET DIM) are not included in the SDK and these commands are essential for universal control of many devices through HomeSeer. As such, we are unable to provide support for the CM15a at this time."

[V]
fje
Starting Member
Starting Member

noisy AW12

Post by fje »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MindBender</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fje</i>
<br />I understand what you says and you are totally right, but this shouldn't be a problem with the AW12 that uses a relay and should suffer of a very low heating I suppose. That is the reason I was looking for some kind of acoustic insulation.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I don't know how much heat is disapated by the rest of the cirquitery, but if you really want to know I suppose you can easily test it by wrapping the unit up in glass wool and stick a thermometer inside... Please post your findings if you do [;)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
MindBender: I finally did the "heating test" you proposed (with an AW12 that is noisy due to the relay it has implemented on it), and, as expected, there was no change in temperature:

1.- No change between AW12 not powered and AW12 powered (at least no change that I could see with the termometer I had, degrees divisions, not tenths of degrees)
2.- No change between AW12 powered, in "off status" and in "on status and with load" (lights) (same comment about the termometer)

The result is what I really expected, because the specifications of the power consuming of AW12 is very very low, and the "switching device" is a biestable relay, that only consums when changing of state (instantaneous).

A different result could be expected from LW12 (that I don't have at this moment for doing the test). Why? because the switching device in LW12 is a triac, a semiconductor device thru which the load gets the power, and, thus, can heat due to the current that goes thru it.

So, again, question is any idea about how can the AW12 be done more "silent" ?

Thanks. Javier
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

noisy AW12

Post by MindBender »

I used to believe exclusively Marmitek modules suffered from making loud noises. But I have just receive two DAIX12 and two SAIX12 units and all four of them are LOUD as crickets in on a warm summer night (not that we are having any of those this summer).

I really don't know what to do with them; I intended to used them in our bedroom, but I can hear the one install clearly, even with the cover and fixture on top of it. And I don't dare to insulate it because the module it's replacing has already molten without it.

Anybody with similar problems? Would it help to spray some varnish or to drop some candle wax on the coil inside?

Return to “X10, A10 Xanura Marmitek Forum”