Interfacing Xanura AIX to house heating etc.

Forum about Questions, discussions and announcements regarding the Bwired website owned by Pieter Knuvers
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Hi Pieter,

In the documentation regarding your use of Xanura modules on your site, you state that you are using a Xanura AIX module to get the status of your house heating (burner on/off, hot water on/off, etc.) and wash dryer (drying on/off, door open/closed, etc.).

Could you explain how you are interfacing these devices to the AIX itself? I understand that it has 4 potential free inputs, but what do you connect to these exactly?

Thanks again!

Lennart
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi Lennart,
The AIX module from Xanura is one of my favorite modules. As I like to know the status of lots of devices. I mostly use very small relays to connect to the AIX. So in case of my reading the status out of my heating system is simple. On my heating system there are 3 LEDs.
Heating on
Warm water on
Gas Burner on

I have connected the LEDs with a little chematics to the very small relays and the AIX. This gives a real good status report system.
Pieter

Pieter Knuvers
www.bwired.nl Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

Or you can use the Remeha Celcia 20 OpenTherm thermostat in conjuction with the Remeha OpenTherm GateWay as discribed in my HVAC topic. With this GateWay you can even read the water temperature in you system and change the setpoint of your heating...
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I Agree, thats the better way to do it see topic http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?T ... Terms=hvac
I hope to have the opentherm system up and running next year. If it gives us total control of the heating system this will be a great breakthrough in Domotica. I have a Nefit system which uses a slightly different opentherm protocol, so a big and difficult challenge! The easy way for now is checking the status with the XANURA AIX module which becomes obsolete if we achieve the above:-)
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by RDNZL »

One interesting approach is listed here...

Not using the modified opentherm protocol that Nefit seems to use, but modifying a cheap model thermostat with a pic to control the potentionmeter in it....

http://www.picbasic.nl/thermostaat_nefit_nl.htm

I don't know if its possible to connect 2 thermostats to a Nefit boiler... the modified and origional one..
Since I own a Nefit Smartline HR the cheapest thermostat which support the UBA3 is an Moduline 100.

Maybe someone is helped by this...

Bwired; are you already a step further with the opentherm<>nefit project?
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi
This is a very interesting approach! I have the same questions.
Can I use my current Nefit Thermostat as well (Moduline 400) so the Moduline 15 is extra to control my Hvac with the computer? I think this will not be the case. You can also not see the current status of the complete system.
If you tap in the opentherm system you can set and poll the status of everything what is going over the Opentherm protocol. I'm still not further with the whole project but I hope to really have some results this year. The Nefit Opentherm protocol which is different to the standard opentherm protocols isn't making life easier. If I new all this before then I would not bought a Nefit heating system. Nefit has some strange behavior as well, when you tap cold water or flush the toilet, the boiler with heat up right away? I can measure this very precisely because of the sensors I have installed inside the Nefit. I called Nefit several times but the are not helping in any way.
I will send a mail to the webmaster of the site.
Pieter
RdP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RdP »

I also have a Nefit moduline 400 and I'm very interested in controlling the house heating in combination with Homeseer.

Let me know if you achieve any good results ?

Thanks,

Rien
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I'm not able to to draw a schematic right now, But there are several option.
You can use a opto coupler which goes over the led
Conrad has also a Little relay print which switches upon a led signal
There are also some examples in the book Domotica book of Heino Peters
Look also on the internet, I will try to draw a schematic soon.

update:

Pieter
RdP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RdP »

Thanks Pieter,

I'm stiil a little confused, it has been a long time since I made my own electronic circuits. And I want to be sure that I buy the right components to get it running. Yes I feel stupid.....

I have an AIX which has four 'switches', right. What do I have to buy additionally.
If I'm right the left LED on your drawing is the led on the Nefit, so the rest I need to buy and the on/off goes directly to the AIX ??

Thanks,
Rien

PS I Just found out that my Nefit heating system has no 'normal LED's at all, but a 1 digit led display....
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Everyone has is own specialty's and thats why there are forums. My electronics knowledge is also not so good at all, still learning everyday. A lot off guys on this forum helped me out to with making things for me.
On my Heating there are beside the led display also 3 green LED's for heating on, warm water on and pump/heater on. It's more easy to buy the Little circuit from Conrad www.conrad.nl itemnr 190363-11, this one you can connect right to a led.

This my front display heating system:

Pieter Knuvers
www.bwired.nl Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.
JBob
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by JBob »

I am sorry to interrupt this thread, but...

I have just discarded my old oilfurnace from the 60s and replaced it with a Nefit Smartline HR24. I live in Denmark where Nefit is sold under the name Milton.

I am really interested in getting the service tool and the software that comes with it. Is the user interface in english?
Does anyone have a link where I can order it?
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi JBob,
It's was not easy for me to get the Nefit service tool, you can only order it if you are an official installer of Nefit. I got mine by luck in the grey circuit :-)

Return to “Bwired Forum”