Powersaving scheme for my aircon

Forum about Domotica, home automation and saving energy.
aris_coronel
Starting Member
Starting Member

Powersaving scheme for my aircon

Post by aris_coronel »

Hi,

Just want to get your feedback if I'm doing the right thing by implementing a powersaving scheme for my aircon.

My Aircon is a 1 HP Window-type machine which has both a manual and a remote control (IR) On/Off Switch.

Since its mostly hot down here in the Philippines, the aircon is generally on from 6PM until 6AM for a total of 12 hours a day.

Well, I figured if I can cut down the time, I could save tons in electricty bill, so I implemented the following scheme:

1) I wanted to control the On/Off switch of the aircon, so I took out my old X-10 VCR Commander, have it learn the Aircon On/Off IR codes then connected the IR leds to the aircon sensor.

2) I then programmed my home automation software to send (every 10 mins) an X10 ON to the VCR Commander which in turn sends an IR code to turn on the aircon.

3) After 5 minutes, the VCR commander automatically sends an IR code to turn off the aircon.

4) After 5 minutes, the home automation software agains sends an X10 ON to VCR commander then the cycle repeats.

So far the setup seems to work and initially I'm seeing some drop in electricity consumption as per my electric monitoring system (http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=198). I intend to monitor this for a longer period of time to be sure.

Well, I'm just concerned if I'm doing the right thing or am I drastically shortening the life of my aircon with the cyclic On/Off I'm making it do?

Hope you guys can give some advice/tips...

Thanks,

Aris

Return to “Energycontrol & Home Automation Forum”